shocking table saw

No problem. I got a bit carried away with the emphasis, no doubt.

You're welcome.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

neutral frame

Meant the former, mistyped the latter.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I didn't say he did discover electricity, only that his experiment with the kite and storing "lightening" in his bottle predated the work of the fellows Andy mentioned.

In fact, Ben couldn't be officially considered a "US/Merican" citizen in

1752, but more properly a Brit.

I spoze also many neandertals (OBWW) discovered their hair standing on end long before the Greeks got their zap off a doorknob or cat or whatever.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I think you missed the sarcasim! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 01:20:29 +0100, Andy Dingley calmly ranted:

If they lived here, invented here, and patented here, um Yeah. Why not?

----

- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
GerryG

Reply to
GerryG

Probably little effect, but the point is valid. Any other items on the same branch would have some portion of their neutral return current shunted to the ground path. You might not notice it, although a GFI would. Items on other branches should not be effected.

Perhaps I just haven't worked with old enough equipment, but would find it odd if the motor frame itself was connected to the neutral, unless somebody removed a polarized plug (which is, of course, possible).

I still suspect, >"Mike Marlow" writes:

Reply to
GerryG

I do not know if the owner of the saw has many shop tools but I would suggest the purchase of a couple inexpensive items. An outlet fault finder can be purchased for a very few dollars. It is worthwhile to check your whole house and find how many plugs are incorrectly wired. An inexpensive volt-ohmeter would help to determine the origin of the unwanted voltage.

If this diagonstic approach is attractive, we can lay out a set of tests that will isolate the problem. It will probably allow for an inexpensive solution to the problem. It will certainly be instructive.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

yes I do have those tools as I have experience in home wiring and hold a degree in electronics. Like I said I'll be checking this out and reporting back. Was going to do it today but was having too hard of a time breathing to spend it bending like a pretzel

Reply to
Troy Hall

Reply to
Troy Hall

|After more than 40 years of working with that stuff, I have an old habit that |I don't even think about: I always assume everything and anything is hot, and |ground it before grabbing, even if I've already checked with a meter sometime |earlier. It only takes a second and will pop a breaker or at least show a |spark. Come to think of it, an experience similar to what you described |started that habit.

Heh heh. There's always at least one "experience." In electronics (vacuum tube stuff) the adage was keep one hand in your pocket. This was to prevent that killing current path through the chest.

I went to a short course on corona testing for insulation systems and my employer bought a corona ("partial discharge") tester that had 10KV DC stacked on 40KV AC capability. When you ran that thing you kept

*both* hands and maybe your feet too in your pocket [g].

The lab in the company that offered the course and made the equipment would have made Tesla jealous. I think they could have made lightning in there.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Well, we're getting even further off the topic here, but in my previous non-IT life I did a fair amount of high voltage testing. I was involved in the design and manufacture of transmission insulators. Part of my job was supervising corona and RIV (radio-influence voltage) tests on insulators and insulator sets. The lab I frequented had a 1000kV AC generator and about a

2500kV impulse generator (which really was used to test for lightning surges). The wire that connected the voltage divider to the unit to be tested was just regular thin wire (in the neighborhood of piano wire). When doing corona testing, we would black out the lab, bring the set we were testing up to voltage, and observe for any visible signs of corona. In order to do that, a couple of people had to be inside the test area. This lucky day I was a spotter. The first disconcerting feeling is that even at 30 feet away, the electrical field coming off the divider made the hair on your arms stand up. During this particular test, someone had left a wire hanging down from the divider that was about 3 feet off the ground. I was sitting in the darkened lab waiting for the voltage to come up when at probably 350-400kV the electricity found ground by flashing over from the wire, which was on my end of the lab. I just about peed my pants trying to get the hell back to the control room.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

And a loyal subject of King George at the time !

Reply to
Andy Dingley

To define weither its a static discharge or an actual ground you simply need to take a multi meter, set it to AC volts and stick one probe in the ground part of your wall plug, stick the other probe on any metal part of the table saw. A static charge will disapate almost immediately while a ground will give you a constant reading. If the unit is grounded its not a good idea to try looking for it with just your hands until you get several shocks. Each time you get a shock; that indicates that there is a path for electricity to ground using your body as the conductor, not good.

Reply to
William Falconer

Reply to
Bob Peterson

[snip]

Nice thread topic name. I smile everytime I see it.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

"Well sheet, boy, Muddy Waters 'vented 'lectricity." -- Spoken by "Blind Man Willie Johnson" in Crossroads. Guitar pickin' by Steve Vai, who also taught Ralph Maccio how to fake it.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

Well, if there was any sarcasm there I missed it...twice. I went back and reread it. He was serious.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

I can't believe nobody said this yet:

You have a Taser Saw. :P

BTW: My dad grew up on a farm outside Morganville, and went to Clifton H.S. I spent a lot of time in the Clay Center area as a kid visiting my grandparents.

Good times. Good times. Nothing beats a corn-fed whitetail.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed