Shipping Costs

Page 4 of 7
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 00:43:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Funny how junkyards have become. They know what a new or rebuilt "one" costs and have raised their costs to be more in line with that. At least that's what happened with my son's car and with a tailight for my car. Ford wanted over $100 it, the junkyard was around $80. Junkyard got the business in both cases.
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 00:43:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

(Smacking myself in the forehead) As stupid as it sounds, I hadn't even thought of that- I was so pissed at the dealership, I just got muleish about it.
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 03:43:53 -0500, Prometheus

I think you'll save money. But maybe not as much as you'd hoped.
Some parts the junkyard won't have available. My son's car could use a new headrest for one of the seats, but that's not available. Same with some rear seat stuff.

Speaking as a cheapskate and 30+ year habitue' of local junkyards in search of cheap car parts, I can tell you that interior parts, particularly anything upholstered, are very hard to find in good condition at most junkyards. This is because cars get into junkyards in two ways: they wear out, or they get wrecked.
If the car is worn out mechanically, the upholstery will be heavily worn too.
And most cars that are wrecked badly enough to be junked have one or more windows broken in the collision, which leaves the upholstery exposed to the weather.
Speaking of junkyards... one of our local yards has a large sign behind the counter: N F C R . Anyone care to speculate on the meaning? <g>
--
Regards,
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:51:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I understand. The bottom line for Son's car is that it's 11 years old and doesn't have a head rest on one side.
If I were able to get one, I don't give a lick about the upholstered (sp?) portion. I'd like the internal parts. What's happened is that the metal rods are actually a U shaped metal rod attached to a blow molded plastic ballon with some kind of clips and screws. It's those screws that have pulled out of the plastic. Where I to get one in working mechanical condition, I could swap the cloth and foam portion.

Typically the junk yards sell entire interiors to a customer. They cannot sell a complete set of seats with parts missing. Having been in the automotive business for many many years, the insurance companies go to the junk yards first for automotive seats. Stolen cars most always need new wheels, tires, seats, and radios. There was a time in the early 80's when I saw on a daily basis stolen cars being brought to our dealership to have those listed items replaced. Then and I suspect now, you cannot buy a complete seat assembly from an American automobile manufacturer unless a car is wrapped around it. The insurance companies in the early 80's created a market for stolen seats. They only bought used seats to replace stolen ones and the demand for used seats was pretty high. Very often we installed the same seats that were stolen out of the vehicle and the seats were delivered by the insurance company. Strange... It tool them years to finally stop the cycle and start buying individual seat parts from us and let us assemble the seats. Costly but the stolen seat market dropped.
"Leon" snip

Leon, Boy do I remember that. Honda prelude seats were a hot commodity for a long time. For two or three years, the insurance companies only paid for used seats and we were installing two or three sets a week. Once the insurance companies started to pay for new seats, the cars quit getting their seats stolen. I believe they created the market to run up the claims and subsequently the rates. Did they lower the rates after they changed the replacement policy? No way, but they did dry up their claims.
Dave

If I could cut out the new antenna and the shipping, that would save $65 if I were to pay the list price.
Of course, if I just fabricate a new one or cd weld a stud onto the old one, that doesn't cost anything.

That may be part of why I didn't think of it. The last three or four times I tried the junkyard, they didn't have the parts I needed, or gave me pieces from the wrong model.

Have you checked with a local salvage yard? (junkyard) If there are none available locally, I have had good experience with a few used parts places that sell over the internet.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Prometheus wrote:

When are you going to learn that the garage is for storing tools and wood, not cars? LOL
The coorporations got me trained now to expect to be reamed for replacement parts and to be thrilled when I can actually get a replacment part.. :)
I'm indifferent to Ford.. but any other car company would've probably done the same thing. The name of the game is to save 5 cents on an attenna mount because we as consumers make price such a high priority.. If they upgraded all the little stuff like that, a Focus would probably cost 1-3k more. You and I might be willing to pay the premium, but most people wouldn't. If everyone thought like me, places like Harbor Freight would not stay in business. Obviously, everyone doesn't think like me (which might be a good thing).

Shame on you for wanting me to put my precious toys in a garage! I've got an 1100+ sq ft. shop in the basement, where things are climate controlled. Sheesh.

Might be a good thing, but not on that score. We're too obsessed as a culture with wanting everything now, and wanting it cheap. Then people wonder why the manufacturing goes overseas, and the ones that stay here don't pay squat. Most satisfying purchase I ever made was an $80 radio I put on layaway when I was making minimum wage, and paid for $5 at a time. Wasn't that it was that great- it was just something to look forward to over the course of four months, and I sure did appreciate it when I got it home... a whole different feeling than just carting in a carload of crap from the Wal-mart to be used or ignored- like the crap that comes in every other payday.
Now that's not to advocate poverty- but it makes a difference in how you feel about things when they're just out of reach and you save for and anticipate them. You end up choosing higher quality, caring for them more, and generally appreciating the things you have more than if you just put a pile of cheap junk on a credit card and shove it in a corner at home.
If everyone thought like that, we'd be able to revive American manufacturing and those jobs that were created might be a little less pressure-oriented and pay better. Well, a guy can hope so, anyhow- though it doesn't much matter, because it's not going to happen in my lifetime.

Same here. I ordered from the DeWalt/Delta/Porter Cable parts people. A simple o-ring, 99 cents. About as much as you paid for shipping. I don't remember exactly - $8? $10? for shipping. It came in a very large box considering that it was only an o-ring. Crushed. Of course. This is UPS after all.
They could have put it in a #10 business envelope and stuck a 37 cent stamp on it and been to my house in 3 days instead of the 10 it took UPS.
UPS sucks.

And on top of that, I ordered a clip for my drum sander from the Delta repair place. It was shipped from Delta wherever to the repair place. I picked it up there in person and still had to pay shipping from Delta to the repair center! How fair is that???.
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:08:26 -0400, "Tim Taylor"

It doesn't sound fair to me.

Depends. How much did Delta pay for shipping the part from Delta distribution to the Delta repair center?

That's an internal Delta business decision how to get it from Delta location A to Delta B. That's the cost of doing business. Not the customers concern.

You don't think that you, the customers, pays for ALL costs of doing business?
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:58:59 -0400, "Locutus"

There's a serious customer relations problem here in how they bill this. When they do it this way they make themselves look as if they're very nearly giving you the small part for free, it's the shipping they're really making their money on.
Sometimes perception is the problem.
So when you point out that customer always pays, yes, I agree. The problem now is how this is presented. The manner of it's billing and the hard ass attitude of "take or leave it" kills customer loyalty.
My own personal experiences over the past 50 years leave me with a mental list of places I just won't do business with. Yet there are others that do the right thing (however that's defined) and get my business over and over. Those people are the ones that don't leave me with a feeling that I've been screwed as I walk out the door or confirm my online deal.
So in the end, in addition to good business sense, it'd pay to also have good people skills.
Why don't you offer your services as director of Parts Supply for DeWalt/Delta/Porter Cable?

Considering many parts have to be ordered across the border for me and will have shipping, brokerage charges, etc. and be delayed so that 3 day shipping can drag out to 3 weeks, I consider if the part broke or wore out, the replacement may also break or wear out. When the cost of the parts are cheaper than the shipping I always order several parts. If I need a $3.00 part and it is going to cost $30.00 to get it, I will order half a dozen, the shipping costs will not change or will only be a dollar or two more. This way I will NEVER have to order this part ever again. Frustration reduced immediately.