Shipping Charges

Nope, the real pisser is spending $8 shipping on a $3.02 order, and then finding FedEx has "incorrectly" scanned the package for customer pick-up. When I thought to track the order, I found it had been sitting at the terminal for four days. Took two days more (and three phone calls) for them to actually deliver the damn thing.

And no, I got no notification the package had arrived, nor did I get a meaningful apology.

I'm sure this is an isolated incident...

Reply to
Steve

Time for a Canuck holiday, then, methinks! if you;re going to be up here anyway, stopping at a LV store would be a no-brainer...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Naaah. I do most of my own maintenance; I'm a careful driver, so my insurance costs are low (less than a nickel a mile); I buy only used cars, so my ownership cost is also low. *By far* my biggest cost in operating most of the vehicles I've owned is the cost of gasoline.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Just depends on how you measure the cost.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yeah, you gotta link? How many stamps did you put on it? LOL

Reply to
Leon

Leon, I think they're maybe not treating you right - if I leave a note in the mailbox (or phone the PO, or ask the carrier) they even bring me the boxes (got some small ones beside me right now). The mail carrier picks 'em up and will take a personal check for postage.

They even put the stamp on _for_ me. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

If you look at it from a business point where time is money what would it cost if you added in even a minimum wage rate for your time?

Reply to
Nova

Perzactly.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 16:24:25 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

Silly. Youtube doesn't need stamps.

-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Still a whole lot less than if I were paying someone else to do the maintenance...

Reply to
Doug Miller

LOL... Actually I have "one" of the last few good postmen. In my neighborhood he still drives to each mail box at the ends of the driveways. BUT he often stops and carries my mail up to my garage if he sees me working on a project.

We watch each others back. A few days ago he was driving down the street and I saw him coming so I walked out to meet him and pick up my mail. A "crazy" lady was running down the sidewalk chasing him, arms flailing. When he stopped to hand me the mail she caught up, out of breath. We both looked at her while she asked, do you have any mail for me?

He looks at her and asks, who are you? She does not answer. Again he asks, who are you? She finally responds, I am a resident. Again he asks, who are you? She responds, do you have any mail for me?

He looks at me, I look at him, I look at her and respond, he wants to know your name and probably your address. I further point out that I appreciate the fact that he does not hand out mail to people he does not recognize and that are chasing him down the street.

She never identified herself or exactly where she lived. She left, yelling less than pleasant comments about him.

Unfortunately he is going to retire in the Spring and will probably be replaced by one of the ones that typically take 3 trips to our neighborhood to deliver all the mail all day long. There are only 250 homes in our neighborhood.

Reply to
Leon

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 08:25:23 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

She got exactly what she deserved. He played it safe and your neighborhood mail is safer for it. Here in quaint little Grants Pass, we have a neighbor who snoops in other mailboxes. The neighbor who is being sued (snoop is apparently trying to steal her land through an old homesteader law. "I've set my stuff here for over 10 years, so now it's mine!") has lost mail from social security, her attorney, and several utilities. I saw her snoop in another box while she was jogging by with her dog, which is never kept on a leash. I wish I'd had a camera so we could put the bitch away.

Yeah, those new guys just don't know what efficiency is or how to milk a Civil Service job, do they? I had to ask mine to kindly finish closing the box after he's done putting mail it it, especially during the rainy days. I got two days of soggy mail in one week and then wrote the letter. He's one of the new guys, and it appears that our outlying area is one of the training or penalty routes. We get a whole lot of new faces driving the route each year, sometimes each month.

-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Manifestation of the dumbing down of America through education can often be observed first at the USPS, where even that paltry bit of education is beyond the available intelligence.

Reply to
Swingman

Not if you figure your time is worth anything.

Reply to
Charlie Self

hn Adams, 1774

I've been ebaying some books in recent weeks. Through eBay most ship for a mailing cost of $2.57. I charge $3.99. The envelope costs me 95 cents, and I have to make a 22 mile round trip to hit a post office with them--they're all over 13 ounces, so cannot be shipped unless you personally hand the package to the postal clerk. I'm sure I could get the cost down by buying 200 envelopes, but I doubt that I'll sell more than another two dozen books, so that doesn't make sense. Too, that doesn't take into consideration the cost of a sheet of paper, tape and ink to print and affix the labels and postage.

In recent years, shipping has turned from an important but low cost to an important but much higher cost. People think they're getting screwed. Maybe they are in a few cases, but in general, flat rate shipping seems to me to be a break even deal for most items shipped for most companies.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I dunno. I sometimes think it's how far into an urban area you live, or how close. We're rural. Our mail carrier retired two or three years ago, after about 35 years on the job. She lived three miles up the road and had the route arranged so she delivered all 300+ road boxes in time to get home and make a late lunch. She was never late, never lost mail, unfailingly helped out with mail problems, etc.

Our new carrier took about a year to set the route up to her needs, but she is still far from making it home for a late lunch. Still, in her short time, she's gone from delivering our mail at anywhere from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. to getting it here by 1:45 a.m. most days. She also has never lost a letter or package, drives larger stuff down to our door instead of dropping it under the box, and is generally excellent and improving. She is afraid of dogs. The first time I opened the door and mutt came scampering out, it terrified her. Our mutt is a terrier- dachshund that is about 9" tall and weighs 17 fairly pudgy pounds. She also is the world's friendliest dog, which is rough on people afraid of dogs--she runs up to them wagging her tail and wiggling in anticipation of a new person to sniff.

Sometimes I think a lot of it has to do with localized work ethics. We're fortunate.

Reply to
Charlie Self

So you can read the mail before breakfast! Have another cup of coffee, Charlie. :>)

Gerald Ross Cochran, GA

It's a damned poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 03:00:43 -0800 (PST), the infamous Charlie Self scrawled the following:

Priced 'em on eBay? It's a whole 'nother world there. I've found

9x12" bubble envelopes at Walgreens at 3/$1 on sale, too.

Charlie, I ship my NoteSHADES(tm) and tees out using Stamps.com electronic stamps and my own mailbox. Why aren't you taking advantage of this wonderful resource? It sure beats going to the post office even once a week. I pay $15.99/mo and can ship boxes, envelopes, and large envelopes via all USPS methods. The USPS gives me boxes (though they get it back in Priority Mail fees) and I print my own stamps. The USPS also has a cut-back program. Some months I don't ship anything, so it's not entirely cost-effective, but it sure saves time (and extreme hassle, especially near holidays) when I do use it.

,
, and
is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Time only has worth if it would be spent producing income instead of doing the task in question.

In most cases, we'd be spending that time posting in newsgroups which produces no income. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

.Well that is not entirely true. You could be doing something more productive that would be a savings. Mowing the yard instead of having paying some one else to to that.

Well actually I have cultivated several customers from this group.

Reply to
Leon