Shipping Charges

Page 2 of 3
On Nov 24, 2:15pm, Dave Balderstone

I did something similar for an 82mm UV filter I needed. Those things are not cheap, but I got one for $45 delivered, instead of $110 from B&H. There's no place locally to buy that size filter...I think I could have gotten it in Charlottesville, which is about 2-1/2 hours each way.

Because it's not a business. I'm getting rid of some books that have been read, won't be read again in this house. I'm sick of building bookcases, and don't have wall space for any more anyway. I sometimes go two or three months without shipping anything, and can see the time when it will be more like four or five or six months. I sure as hell don't want to add another 16 bucks a month to bills for that. I print label and postage in one whack, from PayPal. When suitable, I used Priority Mail boxes, but they're not much use for books, when eBay limits shipping charges to $3.99. I've got a full complement of Priority Mail boxes and envelopes here, just in case.
I didn't price envelopes on eBay...my oversight. The nearest Walgreen's is in Lynchburg, 35 miles from here, so...
I just cut prices on about 11 books that didn't sell. If they don't sell this time, it's a windfall for Goodwill, and the 14 envelopes I've got on hand are just another PITA.
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:24:28 -0800 (PST), the infamous Charlie Self

Don't they let you add a handling or crating fee, too? I've only sold one book on eBay, andI have 300 to go. The lady who was going to eBay 'em for me dropped out with no explanation 2 years ago, so my bedroom floor has some mighty dusty boxes full of books holding it down.

That precludes that.

Try Craigslist, too. Set your own prices and stick to 'em. No fees, wait for a check to come in or accept Paypal as many do, myself included.
-- It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca

Just depends on how you measure the cost. <g>

Perzactly.
On Nov 20, 8:15pm, Dave Balderstone

Not if you figure your time is worth anything.
Charlie Self wrote:

Time only has worth if it would be spent producing income instead of doing the task in question.
In most cases, we'd be spending that time posting in newsgroups which produces no income. :-)
--

-MIKE-

.Well that is not entirely true. You could be doing something more productive that would be a savings. Mowing the yard instead of having paying some one else to to that.

Well actually I have cultivated several customers from this group.
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:46:47 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

I did, too, years back. I have a whole stable of Knight planes as a result of one. I think his website is 3 gens beyond mine now.
I'll have to do that again this year, huh?
-- It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca
Larry Jaques wrote:

Haven't seen Steve Knight on here in ages. Just took a look at his web page, looks like he is still going strong.

Rob Leatham

I've got a custom jack plane he built for me, as well as one of his beta scrub planes.
Good to see he's still going strong. His kits are tempting, especially given the quality of his irons.

http://knight-toolworks.com /
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:52:21 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

Ayup, them arn is sharp and beefy bastids, they is.
Luigi's in Portland. Hey, WeeGee, been by Steve's place yet?
-- It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca

So did I. I ended up with 3 planes and eventually selling him well over 1,000 mouth blocks. He does not use mouth blocks anymore. :~(

The time you spend with your wife has no worth? How about the time spent with your kids? Worthless? It must be a real PIA to be worthless for 2/3 of your day. Weekends must be really bad. Then there are holidays. Must really suck.
CW wrote:

I presumed we were talking about work time. I assumed whatever he was purchasing was work related, ie: income producing. Most guy who post in here during the day are either retired, self-employed, or posting from work (tsk-tsk). I post here, when i should be in the shop building something. :-)
Yes, time invested in family is worth more than any paycheck. I forget the quote, but it's something like... "No man on his deathbed ever said 'I wish I had spent more time at the office.'"
--

-MIKE-

It's not such a "new" practice, I noticed it years ago.
I think it goes to the cost of calculating/charging shipping costs most efficiently, despite obvious errors (e.g. a lb of lead vs. a lb. of feathers). It costs more to "think about i"t than it does to "just ship".
-Zz

Would it be cheaper for you to return it to Lee Valley?
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 21:02:52 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

Yeah, $4.95 PRIORITY MAIL. <sigh>
-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Will you be walking it there?