Shipping Charges

Page 1 of 3
Have you noticed that most of the woodworking supply companies have quietly changed over to shipping charges being based on how much you pay for rather than how much it weighs. This used to be a hallmark of bottom feeders such as JC Whitney and Harbor Freight.
I first really noticed it when I ordered a couple of small gifts for my grandson from Lee Valley. Shipping was $11.50. The order weighed 14 oz including packaging.
I live out in the hinterland and everything comes by FedEx or UPS. Even the nearest Lowe's is 40 miles away. This really hurts.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Just another thing to factor in. You can use it to your advantage. I just ordered 100 pounds of cat litter - delivery was $8. It's not worth my time to go to the store and hump 100 pounds into and out of the vehicle.
I suppose in your instance it just means you'll be building a bigger order, and I'm sure that's what they're hoping.

or make a "non critical" list and don't order that stuff until there is a free freight sale - which is fairly frequent in some cases.
Gerald Ross wrote:

I just took a look at Lee Valley's shipping fees:
Orders up to     $20 - $8.50         $20.01 to $120 - $11.50 Orders over     $120 - $13.50
It looks to me as a flat fee of $13.50... reasonable. ;-)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Can you drive 80 miles for $11.50?

Easily. Hell, I can manage that in my old truck -- 85 Dodge, 360 4bbl, about 17mpg on the highway -- and most cars will do far better. At the rate I paid last time I filled up, $11.50 is 4.75 gallons, which will take my Saturn SL2 considerably farther than 80 miles. Like more than *twice* that.
Of course, that disregards the value of my *time* to drive 80 miles...
Snip

Add wear and tear on the vehicle, maintainance, pro-rated insurance. The governmant allows you a bit over 50 cents per mile when used for business purposes. That is probably a bit shy of actual cost.
Typically a 80 mile trip really costs you about $40.

Naaah. I do most of my own maintenance; I'm a careful driver, so my insurance costs are low (less than a nickel a mile); I buy only used cars, so my ownership cost is also low. *By far* my biggest cost in operating most of the vehicles I've owned is the cost of gasoline.
Doug Miller wrote:

If you look at it from a business point where time is money what would it cost if you added in even a minimum wage rate for your time?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Still a whole lot less than if I were paying someone else to do the maintenance...

Good truck: I had an '85 Dually with the same engine and 4-speed. Wow, was it stable on the road.
--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs

I didn't ask "can you use less than $11.50 in gas to drive 80 miles?", Doug.
I asked "Can you drive 80 miles for $11.50?"
Your answer appears to be "No."
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 21:33:15 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

The real pisser is that the other item he bought last week, for example, cost $1.80 for the same size and weight but from a longer distance. And the book from across the country cost $2.37, etc.
Some of us feel that exorbitant shipping fees are unfair. YMOV
-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Oh, I agree with that. I wanted to by the son a shirt from ThinkGeek.com for his birthday but shipping from the US to Canada would have doubled the price.
So I didn't buy it.
It's a very simple equation involving value received for money spent.
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:34:16 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

Ayup. Unfortunately, that works both ways between the US and CA. I can no longer afford to buy Lee Valley tools, so I treasure those I already have. The stainless transplant spade (sucker looks chromed!) and the scraper set are real keepers, as are a dozen other items I used to import from there. Sest lavvy.
(For those of you in Rio Linda, that last item is "C'est la vie" in Merkin.")
-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Time for a Canuck holiday, then, methinks! if you;re going to be up here anyway, stopping at a LV store would be a no-brainer...
On 2009-11-21 09:42:22 -0500, Larry Jaques

Nope, the real pisser is spending $8 shipping on a $3.02 order, and then finding FedEx has "incorrectly" scanned the package for customer pick-up. When I thought to track the order, I found it had been sitting at the terminal for four days. Took two days more (and three phone calls) for them to actually deliver the damn thing.
And no, I got no notification the package had arrived, nor did I get a meaningful apology.
I'm sure this is an isolated incident...

I've been ebaying some books in recent weeks. Through eBay most ship for a mailing cost of $2.57. I charge $3.99. The envelope costs me 95 cents, and I have to make a 22 mile round trip to hit a post office with them--they're all over 13 ounces, so cannot be shipped unless you personally hand the package to the postal clerk. I'm sure I could get the cost down by buying 200 envelopes, but I doubt that I'll sell more than another two dozen books, so that doesn't make sense. Too, that doesn't take into consideration the cost of a sheet of paper, tape and ink to print and affix the labels and postage.
In recent years, shipping has turned from an important but low cost to an important but much higher cost. People think they're getting screwed. Maybe they are in a few cases, but in general, flat rate shipping seems to me to be a break even deal for most items shipped for most companies.
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 03:00:43 -0800 (PST), the infamous Charlie Self

Priced 'em on eBay? It's a whole 'nother world there. I've found 9x12" bubble envelopes at Walgreens at 3/$1 on sale, too.

Charlie, I ship my NoteSHADES(tm) and tees out using Stamps.com electronic stamps and my own mailbox. Why aren't you taking advantage of this wonderful resource? It sure beats going to the post office even once a week. I pay $15.99/mo and can ship boxes, envelopes, and large envelopes via all USPS methods. The USPS gives me boxes (though they get it back in Priority Mail fees) and I print my own stamps. The USPS also has a cut-back program. Some months I don't ship anything, so it's not entirely cost-effective, but it sure saves time (and extreme hassle, especially near holidays) when I do use it.
www.stamps.com , www.endicia.com , and http://www.usps.com/onlinepostage/welcome.htm
-- It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca

I was shopping locally for a Hoya R72 IR filter for my camera... Quoted between $98 and $140 canuckbux.
Got one from a camera shop somewhere in Montana via eBay for $40.31 Canadian, shipping in.