[Shill] A plug for Hibdon Hardwood

It is with great trepidation that I post this, but I really like these guys.
There's a company near downtown St. Louis called Hibdon Hardwood and it is a paradise of exotic lumber. After years of wholesaling exotics, primarily to instrument makers, they've opened a retail storefront. Hidden inside the unassuming shop, there's just stacks of beautiful wood. Sure, they have your curly maple, mahogany, purpleheart and so forth. But they have some spiffy stuff like macassar ebony, primavera, zebrawood, and figured purpleheart.
I asked today how the retail side was going. "It's there" was the reply. Seems that things have been slow through out the summer. I'm only posting this because I don't want them to shut it down due to lack of interest. I'm selfish that way.
So if you're loitering around St. Louis, check 'em out. You can look up their info easily enough. In fact, I'm pretty sure that you can Feel Lucky when Googling their name.
Standard disclaimers apply. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, except as a mildly concerned customer.
--
Joe Wells

My Dad and I were some of Hibdon's first customers. At the time (if memory serves me) they were around Vandeventer and Chouteu (pronounced locally as Show Toe (rhymes with Toto)? Jim Hibdon came from a family of wood graders. Anyways, I always enjoyed the trips down there and it was the beginning of my education is woods of all types.
UA100, who always enjoyed butchering French names...
Thanks for the info, I'm about 100 miles south of STL. and go up there every comple of months to Rockler and Woodcraft. Now have another place to nose around in. I take it that UNISAW is in the ST. Louis area, if so maybe we can met up somewhere for some coffee and wood talk.
--
Mike S.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net
Mike S. wrote:

Unisaw only makes it back to the StL area during a twice yearly down and back.
Now, should you find yourself in Mahwaukee...
Unisaw A-100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

I find myself pretty close to there (3 blocks south or 32 blocks west). Can you comment on the local wood suppliers? In my limited search, I have found Kettle Moraine Hardwoods as my most promising source. Any recommendations for other local places to check out? Currently I am not looking for anything terribly fancy - just some 4/4 and 6/4 maple or maybe cherry.
TIA, Mike
Mike Gerdts wrote:

Kettle Moraine has a north and south outlet.
http://kmhardwoods.com/fsetlp.htm
There is also Badger Hardwoods.
www.badgerwood.com
I get almost everything I use from work which initially comes from Boehm (pronounced bame/rhymes with blame) Madison. To the best of my knowledge they only deal in commercial sales. They are by far the best if you are looking for good usable lumber.
http://www.boehm-madisen.com /
Try a search on WoodFinder.com and broaden your search to the hunnert mile radius.
www.woodfinder.com
UA100
have to agree, I have not been in the area but subsequent to an enquiry the sent me a beautiful sample box of assorted woods they sell....mjh
-- http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2