Shepherd Smoothing Plane Tips?

I've got a Shepherd smoother and am having a heck of a time getting acceptable performance out of it. I have been using a Stanley #4 and even a #6 to far better effect on my current project.
My first mistake when I first got it was to try a 25 degree bevel. No good - back to 30 degrees with a couple of micro bevels. Not great. I just read a review of the LV4.5 (also with an A2 blade) where the reviewer recommends a 30degree primary and a 35degree secondary.
Can anyone offer me any tips specific to make the Shepard work? BTW: I have been using a "scary sharp" type method with regular wet or dry sand paper on glass for final sharpening.
Mike

Did you build it, or did Shepherd or another builder? Is this the #7 Spiers or the A6 Norris?
If the Spiers, are you successful at getting the iron adjusted for a small enough shaving? On the Shepherd shoulder plane I just built, I find that adjusting the iron is pretty tricky (but it is wedged). Is the mouth small enough?
I have the Spiers kit waiting for me to set aside the time to build it, so I will be watching this with interest.

what is it not doing for you? give us some info so we can help.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Hi,

ok that's what I needed first make sure the iron is bedded well look from the bottom and make sure you see no gaps between the back of the iron and the wood. you want a nice tight fit. check the top too that sounds like the problem if the blade is sharp.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Thu, 5 May 2005 16:22:25 -0400, the inscrutable "mgreene"

Sharpen the iron; hone it to within an inch of its life. ;)
--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over