shellac or lacquer finishing technique suggestions?

I'll soon be finishing a desk with either a shellac or lacquer topcoat (I'll decide after comparison of test strips). Any pointers on the proper tools/technique for application?
I vote for lacquer, Shellac is my personal favorite However is not very tuff. A desk application requires water proof and scuff proof. Lacquer or polly is the thing.
john

Ue the lacquer to build the coats and top coat with poly. Lacquer is pretty and easy to work, but will scratch much too easy for "desk use". The act of throwing down a set of car keys will scratch laquer quite easily. I hate poly but this is where poly should be used.
Bob wrote:

You might consider adding Behlen's Rock Hard Table Varnish to your list of candidates.
Bob wrote:

--
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.