Shellac not curing properly

I used a spray can of Shellac to finish a maple surface. Usually shellac dries very quickly, within hours or even less. However, after

4-5 DAYS, I still can leave fingerprints in the surface of the finish. Does the spray can put some additives in it that would inhibit curing? Did it go on too thick? (That's never been a problem for me before with wipe-on or brushed.)

I don't like using an can of spray since I can't control the cut, but I find spraying gives the most even application for me. Maybe Santa will bring me a HVLP for Christmas???

Indyrose

Reply to
Indyrose

The shellac is old. You are going to have to strip it all off and do it again. You are better off getting shellac flakes and mixing it with alcohol. The stuff has a shelf life of maybe 6 months.

Reply to
DarylRos

I was overambitious and thought I'd use alot of shellac this year, so I have several quarts of pre-mix 3 lb cut shellac...

I also bought flakes though, which I think I'll stick to from now on. .

Reply to
David Binkowski

Reply to
nospambob