Shellac.net

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know if shellac.net is really up and running? Reason I ask is that a few years ago that site was inactive even though it looked like it was open for business.
--
Frank Howell

What's stopping you from going to www.shellac.net and seeing for yourself??? There's information, prices and contact information on a working website.
Or, are you asking if anyone has bought from them?
Upscale wrote:

I did that a few years ago and no response. The Web site looked then as today.

Yes.
--
Frank Howell

Frank Howell wrote:

I bought from them back in June. After a problem (mine) with PayPal, all went smoothly. No complaints.
Cheers,
Larry Nelson, New Zealand
rev.5/17/08
I suspect it is up. Modified this year. Never did business with them. Martin
Frank Howell wrote:

I can see they are related to Wood Finishing Supply. WFS did go out of business a while back. At least they closed their store in Fort Bragg and disconnected the phone. I was heart broken. Great folks with lots of knowledge and some great products. Looks like maybe they are still running, just down the road in Santa Rosa or have a close association with Shellac.net.

Russ was not only a top flight guy, but a real finisher. I loved talking to him as he was so knowledgeable. He knew all his products and knew how to use them.
He left the business, and sold all his inventory. The last time I talked with him, he had enough of small business.

Maybe in the name. But I doubt seriously if Russ is involved. He got caught up in one too many pointless no win arguments on the net about finishing techniques, and some took it upon themselves to trash him at every opportunity on some of the larger forums. It killed his internet business, which in turn killed his business altogether.
Our loss.
Robert
I assume it was his wife who taught me a bunch about finishing just standing at the counter or calling in and trying to make a purchase. She would always ask why you were buying this or did you know how to use it and she always had great input.

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 22:10:38 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I think that shellac.net was started by Paddy O'Deen and was then taken over by Russ. I don't know if O'Deen has gotten back into it.
I buy my stuff from Jeff Jewitt and have found him to be reliable and knowledgeable.
Regards,

IIRC, O'Deen started a site, then started and kept the shellac.net site. It was his second attempt. Via email he told me he was kind of tired of screwing with it, and it never really made him any money. He worked out some kind of agreement with Liberon (well known for their steel wool) as he had sources that no one else had. He moved to another state and just didn't want to keep up with it anymore. Apparently grandchildren were calling.

Lord knows he was asked enough times. He used to pop in on some of the finishing sites, but even that went away.
I know Russ had his own sources for bug spit (thanks, Paddy!) and when service from the shellac.net site was spotty, many went to Russ.
Honestly, it bothered me that Russ left. He was so damn knowledgeable. We had a long conversation on the phone when he had his going out of business sale, and he just totally underestimated how ugly the internet can be.
Robert
Hi Woodfinishing Mavens,
A couple of corrections, clarifications, addendum, etc.
A long time ago in a hillside estate not too far away, I owned/ operated shellac.net and distributed literally tons of flakes across the U.S., Canada and abroad (and yes, there was a time when a broad worked at packing/shipping shellac, but that's a different story for a different time). Russ Ramirez was the owner of woodfinishingsupplies.com, back in those halcyon days of rec.norm and operated a first class operation out of Rochester, MN. Russ and I had our clashes on the net, but eventually became good friends and colleagues in the business. Russ (I assume he's still out there living/breathing) is a modest guy and his withdrawing both from small business and this newsgroup was a loss.
Let's not confuse Russ with Ron Ashby (woodfinishsupply.com, of Fort Bragg), the guy who purchased the shellac.net domain and my shellac inventory back in the late spring of 2001. At the time, shellac.net was grossing $5K/month on average, once spiking at nearly $7,000 in one month. That's a lot of shellac. The terms of the sale to Mr. Ashby were that he would purchase the inventory at wholesale cost, and then pay a commission on sales generated by shellac.net. Well according to his records, sales from shellac.net plummeted from a robust $5k monthly, to about $400/month. Clearly shellac sales through that site were the harbinger of the current economic crisis, as the sales dropped more than 90%. Obviously the shellac.net name carried no goodwill with it. Shame. The alternative is unthinkable, that someone would deliberately under-report sales in order to weasel out of paying commissions. No way; my brain won't even go there.
'Course, given that worthless site, it makes a feller wonder why someone would re-open at the same address when sales were previously so dismal? It's a puzzler.
No worries. I've been in contact with my original suppliers, and am working on getting back to providing Paddylac (TM) to the teeming masses... oh yeah, at prices that'll blow the current shellac.net out the water. ;) It's not personal, it's business.
Maybe we could have a site-naming contest right here, the winner to get free shellac for life? Yeah, that's the ticket.
Stay tuned... Paddyo
Paddyo wrote a fascinating story....
<snip story>
And suggested a new shellac.net naming contest, since he sold the rights for the old domain. So here are my suggestions. I included spaces to make it easier to read.
shellac dot net rises again shellac source shellac again shellac squared shellac r us paddyo shellac the good stuff exquisite flakes flake source flakes r us flake central shellac flakes paddyo flakes
Carry on folks, Add to the list.

paddylac IS shellac

paddylacshellacismadeofpeople.com
--

-MIKE-

paddylacshellacgiveadogabone
I do like "exquisite flakes" for such a site. Selling shellac only is very much a niche thing (working on model railroad layout electrical systems is too (not a plug or anything)), so a name like that adds a bit of fun to the whole thing.
Puckdropper

My Name choice is SHELLACWORKS
henry wrote:

Did anyone get shellacattack, yet?
--

-MIKE-

My goodness, but that is a prolific list of trade names from all of youse. Thanks! Still leaning towards paddylac.com ;)
O'Deen
Just say I still have some 7-year old shellac flakes that are serving me well, as I put the finishing touches on some moulding around the house.
Paddy, That's good to hear as I still have quite a bit of "paddylac" I bought from you stored in the dark and in AC. Tom

How about ...knick knack paddylac