shellac marks

Hello .. I have been using a clear shellac on stained stairs and a bannister recently and taped things off with low tack tape to paint the remaining areas. When I removed the tape it came off easy but left the shapes of the tape pieces in a sort of fogged blemish. It did'nt leave a residue and came off with steel wool and a covered with a coat of varnish but I am trying to educate myself in refinishing and am wondering what would cause this blemish? I assume it has something to do with curing time? Thanks for any input.

Hi Gerald,
I have found that working with low-tack tape (or any tape for that matter), it is best to remove it before the finish dries - as soon as it is just tacky.
Since shellac dries quickly, you would have to work fast! Your shellac probably dried and lifted with the tape.
Pull the tape down over itself at an angle in the direction you're pulling.
Lou
I also finished a railing with about 15 coats of clear shellac. It took a few weeks before the finish truly hardened. Before that time, it was quite vulnerable to even soft things like towels or harsh rags, etc. It doesn't surprise me to hear that tape left a mark.
Why not try rubbing out the tape marks with pumice powder then rottenstone? Those two compounds should be effective in removing small marks left from tape.
Good luck!

Howdy!

That sounds like stale shellac. It should not be soft if it is fresh.
yours, Michael
snipped-for-privacy@radix.net | White Wolf and the Phoenix
I used freshly mixed flakes for a box that was packed and shipped accross country and the packing material imprinted itself in the finish. Jeff Jewitt commented recently that it takes shellac at least a week to cure to avoid this type of problem. Multiple coats of shellac would exacerbate the cure time I would expect.
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:46:51 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@radix.net (Michael Houghton) wrote:

You may well be correct here. However, if I were to apply 15 coats of shellac without _fully_ allowing the prior coats to cure sufficiently, I would expect about a month before it really hardened. I'll note that you can usually cheat a little on the first few coats, but it will catch up to you. Not saying that happened, just that it would cause this. A little test dab of shellac on a scrap would answer the question. GerryG