Shellac Help

I am converting an old organ into a bar, and am looking for the best way to completely seal the keys. There are small gaps between keys and I am wondering how this will affect things. Will the shellac fill these gaps and remain smooth on top? anything I should be careful of?

Reply to
Cameron Williams

Many of us would like to convert our old organs...

If it stays a bar for more than 4 hours, call a doctor.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

you're biting off a hornets nest, if I may mix my metaphors.

I'd have a nice thick, like 1/2", piece of tempered glass made that covers everything and make sure the edges are sealed.

Reply to
bridger

It would take 200 coats of shellac to fill them and shellac is not alcohol proof so it is a poor selection for a bar.

I'd use an epoxy or polyester resin to fill the gaps. Once filled, I'd coat the whole thing with the resin or maybe polyurethane.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski