Shellac Finishing

Page 2 of 2
Dr. Deb wrote: ...

While the last is true, the previous isn't or is at least misleading.
Applying more shellac makes a thicker film--how could it not? The material doesn't just disappear and the volume applied is still larger whether the two coats "fuse" or one lays on top of the other.
The problem of treating both sides of a piece the same isn't owing to the finish that "can shrink over time" but that the finish slows (doesn't stop, merely slows) the rate of moisture exchange to/from the piece. Hence, more finish on one side leads to preferential moisture exchange on the other. This differential in moisture is the primary cause of the problems when one side is finished and another isn't.
On Tue, 06 May 2008 08:09:29 -0500, dpb wrote:

And shellac slows moisture exchange more than any other common finish - epoxy excepted.

A lot of useful info and you finally nailed my question.
Thank you,
Otoe
A couple pictures are posted on the binaries woodworking group of the finished project.
I took your advice about using a cotton cloth pad to apply the shellac and the cut to 1 lb. The top has over a dozen light coatings.
I used an unwaxed blonde shellac for the top surface. Used 320 grit after the first couple coats where I used 220 grit initially. Hand sanded lightly between coats. This is my most attractive finish so far.
Thank you all for your advice,
Otoe

It looks very nice. I didn't see the pictures for a while. Hence the multiple replys.