Shellac and Poly?

Got some red oak shelves I just finished.
Want to get a different look. THinking of doing the following:
Shellac 1 coat Oil base minwax ebony Sand lightly light coat of honey oak oil based stain oil based polyurethane
This will give me a black grained honey oak, right?
TIA for any comments or suggestions.
Ahhh ... mebee .....
Jeff Jewitt did an article in Fine Woodworking about simulating fumed oak (Arts and Crafts) with stains and dyes, perhaps early in 2003. Seems to me that he used a tinted paste filler to "pop" the pores after dying the "background" color, but they say the memory is the second thing to go, and I can't remember the first.
You might want to check that out ... Jewitt seems to work magic with finishes.

Why not try it on some scrap left from the project and let US know? <G>
Barry
Just did this on scraps and it works as I suspected, even tested it out on the wood putty (Had a couple of minor gaps after gluing.
I'll have to post some shots of the sample and the shelf after I finish......
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 19:21:59 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Awesome.
I'd like to see the pics.
Barry
Homestead finishing has a recipe for exactly hat you want. I used it for a piece. Poke around there and you'll find it
IIRC:
1.Dye (choose you base color). 2.Seal w/ shellac (1# cut) 3.Glaze (water based) mixed w/ burnt umber or some such dark pigment 4.When the glaze has set up, wipe it off with burlap across the grain, leaving the glaze in the pores 5.Seal the glaze with another 1# cut of shellac 6. Top coat with your choice of Varnish/Poly/Laquer/Shellac