Shellac and HVLP settings?

Any wisdom on settings for both air and material flow through an HVLP sprayer that work best for spraying shellac?

Sprayed my first shellac on a project over the last two weekends with an el cheapo HVLP turbine sprayer (CH) I purchased for starters.

RH was in the 90% range and I had no problems with blushing ... which I may be wrongly attributing to using 99% isopropyl for the 1# cut I mixed from a

3# cut can of amber Bullseye.

At the outset, I had very slight orange peel on a couple of upper edges of my test piece, which I attribute mostly to technique. This disappeared once I kept the nozzle parallel to the piece and both stopped and started past the edges.

The results on the actual work was more than satisfactory, and I like the results so much that I may upgrade to more adjustable apparatus.

Thanks.

Reply to
Swingman

Hi Swingman, Do you have different needles and nozzles and air caps? I check the viscosity of the solution and pick some combination that should work (as stated by the manufacturer) in that viscosity range. I then spray a horizontal pattern until it starts to sag. If it sags in the centre of the pattern the air cap is too large. If from the extremities, air cap too small, a figure 8 pattern, air cap too small or air cap too close to the fluid tip. Hope this is of some help. Cheers, JG

Sw> Any wisdom on settings for both air and material flow through an HVLP

Reply to
JGS

That it is ... thanks for the tips.

Reply to