shellac all shook up; now what?

Page 3 of 3
On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:35:22 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan

No, I meant pour the liquid through a sieve to remove the bugs. You'd have a real bitch of a time trying to dewax it, though it could be done...with the patience of some old dead religious dude.

I should redo mine and salvage the BB ply for other smaller jigs. Ah reckon I should have used the 2' square rather than the quick square to set the rear rail, huh? It's about 1/16" out at a foot.

Wuss. (But a manly one, thanks to not routing off Little Silvan.)

Remind me to -never- visit you when you're working on a car. (Gotcher scatter shield wrapped around that bell housing, son?) http://www.machv.com/stainsteelsc.html

Large first letters used in signs generally apply to all lines they cover, such as Jake's Joint, Len's Lounge, Silvie's Sweatshop.
--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
Larry Jaques wrote:

Oh. Right. Well, we agree then. Don't tell anyone I said that. I have a reputation to protect.

I'm in a similar boat.

Aw, that was 400,000 years ago.

Hrm. I won't argue, since I haven't paid that much attention to signs.
On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 15:48:30 -0800, Larry Jaques

I do seem to remember someone quite awhile back saying that their shellac was left in the workshop in the winter, and it hardened the wax into one giant lump, thus making it dewaxed. A freezer should work just as well. The cold shouldn't have any bad effect on the shellac itself, might even slow down the process by which it detiriorates.
Xane T. wrote:

Speaking of shellac, I finally tried it. Wow! I did the same 1.5# cut with the can stuff last go round. Either the extra stabilizer compounds they put in the canned stuff change its working properties considerably, or that can was further over the hill than I thought. It's a night and day difference. The Zinsner was taking about 30 minutes for a 1.5# cut to dry tack free, and maybe a day or three to dry where you couldn't press your fingerprints into it. This home brewed orange is reaching tack free in about 11.5 seconds, and plenty hard in 15 minutes, except for some particularly gooey runs that take maybe an hour to cure up.
Gots t'be extremely careful not to cover the same ground twice, but the results are really, really nice. Me likey. Me much much likey. This is a keeper.
It's being used to spiff up a walnut pinewood derby car that's turning out great. We're probably both going to lose our ass on the race this year, but who cares. We be stylin. 90% walnut, 10% pine, shaped and carved, and shellacked. It's almost enough to make me want to make something out of pine, I have to say. Where the pine was scuffed or bruised or otherwise distressed, it took up much more shellac. It also picked up more of the color in certain parts of the grain pattern were the tubes were tube-ier I guess. The result looks pretty spectacular to be a crappy piece of jummywood. Orange shellac looks very good on pine.
Five or six coats in toto. I forget exactly how many. Tomorrow we'll knock off any little drips that remain, and then hit it with the 0000 steel wool and Johnson's. The spiffiest pair of walnut pinewood derby cars ever made, I expect. His is a, um, something, and mine is a different kind of something that looks vaguely like the front end of a Dodge Viper grafted onto the ass end of the Ghostbusters mobile. We be stylin'.
Web site to follow once I get the rest of the pictures processed. (I never bothered to enter the adult race before, but this is our last derby until I have heirs. We wanted to go all out. I made two blanks, just in case, and he got the first one right, so I went ahead and made one for me too. I've got pictures of the whole thing from beginning to end, to prove to the world that my kid really did all this cool stuff.)
<snip>

Sunday, my youngest kid turned 25. I thought I was done for a while, and have been kinda jealous of some of youse guys, regarding derby cars. It's been a while for me...
So after church, this 8 year old guy comes up with a large ziplock in hand, kit inside. Wants me to help with the car. His single mom says we could use the tools at the community center, probably. "No, we can do better than that."
We spent two hours yesterday after school in my shop. My eldest son, 30'ish, came over to 'play', too. The little guy got to draw, rasp, sand and shellac a pretty respectable shaped car, just the way he wanted. My son sent him home with a kit and instructions on how to paint it _RED_.
We'll do the weighing and wheel alignment stuff this weekend.
Three of us had a great time.
Maybe I'll do a car stand for him.
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

If you slap a piece of walnut on a faceplace with screws and then turn a pedestal out of it, watch out for the screws! DAMHIKT. :(
Ours are all done except the final weigh-in and dial-in to get the weight right. They are called "Walnut Wonder" and "Silvan's Elite Ride" respectively. It's the first time I've actually entered the adult race, which I always found sort of ridiculous in past years. I guess I wanted to say me too before it's too late.
I'll post pictures shortly. Haven't had time to sort all the latest crop of stuff out yet.
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:46:04 -0600, Patriarch

I ain't snipping none of the above.
OUTSTANDING !

*NEXT* time, remember to send the lubricant along. Navel Jelly, that is.
On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 23:54:44 -0000, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) spake:

Ouch squared!
-------------------------------------------- Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================

It takes a day or so for mine to fully dissolve, but I don't do the chopping step that you do.
I'm not sure what you mean by knees and elbows. I use dewaxed flake shellac which is pretty clean to start with; put it in a clean container with good alcohol and I don't have a lot of junk to decant.

Probably. I keep mine sealed in a dark cupboard, it lasts many months.

Yeah, it looks very dark in the jar but the coats will look much lighter. Orange shellac on walnut is awesome, but I can't imagine orange on maple or mahogany...

Once it's dissolved you're ready to go (assuming it's dewaxed and you aren't trying to decant a waxed shellac).
Try the shellac over linseed oil. I love that look.
Cheers, Nate