shellac all shook up; now what?

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 23:54:44 -0000, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) spake:

-------------------------------------------- Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.

Comprehensive Website Design ======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh. Right. Well, we agree then. Don't tell anyone I said that. I have a reputation to protect.

I'm in a similar boat.

Hrm. I won't argue, since I haven't paid that much attention to signs.

Reply to
Silvan

As is 'you-uns'. Although 'you-uns' seems to subselect from a larger group.

"Y'all come back now", she said. Then, turning to my cousin and I, she pointedly commented "All 'cept you-uns, of course."

(I'm originally from WV and that was the last thing I ever heard at least three of my aunts say. I just never saw them again ... wasn't even told of their funerals.)

Bill

Reply to
Anonymous

You-uns or y'uns is more of a coal country thing, up and down the Appalachians.

Reply to
Silvan

I do seem to remember someone quite awhile back saying that their shellac was left in the workshop in the winter, and it hardened the wax into one giant lump, thus making it dewaxed. A freezer should work just as well. The cold shouldn't have any bad effect on the shellac itself, might even slow down the process by which it detiriorates.

Reply to
Xane T.

While I'd like to claim otherwise, we probably have Southerners who would say "turning to my cousin and I"

Reply to
alexy

Speaking of shellac, I finally tried it. Wow! I did the same 1.5# cut with the can stuff last go round. Either the extra stabilizer compounds they put in the canned stuff change its working properties considerably, or that can was further over the hill than I thought. It's a night and day difference. The Zinsner was taking about 30 minutes for a 1.5# cut to dry tack free, and maybe a day or three to dry where you couldn't press your fingerprints into it. This home brewed orange is reaching tack free in about 11.5 seconds, and plenty hard in 15 minutes, except for some particularly gooey runs that take maybe an hour to cure up.

Gots t'be extremely careful not to cover the same ground twice, but the results are really, really nice. Me likey. Me much much likey. This is a keeper.

It's being used to spiff up a walnut pinewood derby car that's turning out great. We're probably both going to lose our ass on the race this year, but who cares. We be stylin. 90% walnut, 10% pine, shaped and carved, and shellacked. It's almost enough to make me want to make something out of pine, I have to say. Where the pine was scuffed or bruised or otherwise distressed, it took up much more shellac. It also picked up more of the color in certain parts of the grain pattern were the tubes were tube-ier I guess. The result looks pretty spectacular to be a crappy piece of jummywood. Orange shellac looks very good on pine.

Five or six coats in toto. I forget exactly how many. Tomorrow we'll knock off any little drips that remain, and then hit it with the 0000 steel wool and Johnson's. The spiffiest pair of walnut pinewood derby cars ever made, I expect. His is a, um, something, and mine is a different kind of something that looks vaguely like the front end of a Dodge Viper grafted onto the ass end of the Ghostbusters mobile. We be stylin'.

Web site to follow once I get the rest of the pictures processed. (I never bothered to enter the adult race before, but this is our last derby until I have heirs. We wanted to go all out. I made two blanks, just in case, and he got the first one right, so I went ahead and made one for me too. I've got pictures of the whole thing from beginning to end, to prove to the world that my kid really did all this cool stuff.)

Reply to
Silvan

Silvan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Sunday, my youngest kid turned 25. I thought I was done for a while, and have been kinda jealous of some of youse guys, regarding derby cars. It's been a while for me...

So after church, this 8 year old guy comes up with a large ziplock in hand, kit inside. Wants me to help with the car. His single mom says we could use the tools at the community center, probably. "No, we can do better than that."

We spent two hours yesterday after school in my shop. My eldest son,

30'ish, came over to 'play', too. The little guy got to draw, rasp, sand and shellac a pretty respectable shaped car, just the way he wanted. My son sent him home with a kit and instructions on how to paint it _RED_.

We'll do the weighing and wheel alignment stuff this weekend.

Three of us had a great time.

Maybe I'll do a car stand for him.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

If you slap a piece of walnut on a faceplace with screws and then turn a pedestal out of it, watch out for the screws! DAMHIKT. :(

Ours are all done except the final weigh-in and dial-in to get the weight right. They are called "Walnut Wonder" and "Silvan's Elite Ride" respectively. It's the first time I've actually entered the adult race, which I always found sort of ridiculous in past years. I guess I wanted to say me too before it's too late.

I'll post pictures shortly. Haven't had time to sort all the latest crop of stuff out yet.

Reply to
Silvan

I ain't snipping none of the above.

OUTSTANDING !