shellac all shook up; now what?

Page 2 of 3
"Conan the Librarian" wrote in message

LOL!
"Plural"? I had that once ... it makes you cough.

Because I often spray shellac, I use those cheap, packaged paint filters they sell at the BORGS ... they work fine for shellac, IME.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Conan the Librarian wrote:

What part of the south are you from? I live in Virginia. I spend my working hours in the Carolinas, occasionally Georgia. Now admittedly I haven't met too many people in Georgia who weren't misplaced Yankees, but South Carolina is still about as southern as southern gets. They say it the same way we do here. "You" is singular, "y'all" is plural.
I'm a language dork. I observe things about regional dialects in my travels. I think I would have picked up on it if it were really common for southerners to use "y'all" as a singular pronoun. It's certainly not common here.
OTOH, I've met a lot of visiting Yankees who think it's cute to drive up to the house and say "Do youuuuuuuuu awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwllllll know where ahhhhhh kiin fahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnd th dawwwwwwwwwwwwwg powwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnd?" Like they think I must be mentally retarded because I'm a southerner. It annoys me.

I tried that once to strain the oil in my fryer. I know just what you mean. Works great. After about ten minutes, you dump all the oil down the drain and open a new jug. The oil comes out clean like new. :)
(Not that I would admit to frying food in a big vat full of oil in this day and age. Heavens no. I meant the water in my tofu steamer.)

Now that's an interesting thought there. I didn't use any particular heat, but I noticed the first couple of times I opened the jar, it was under some internal pressure. There was also a visible wisp of some out-gassed something wafting out of the jar. I wonder what that was all about.

You are right. The only place I've ever heard "y'all" as singular is in bad movies (or movies with a bad dialog coach) and GDYs trying to affect a southern accent.
(Based on my 45+ years in Birmingham, Memphis, and Atlanta, as well as travels and work in the region.)

Silvan wrote:

I lived in Tennessee for twenty years, and I've been in Texas now for twenty five years.

Me too.

IME, here in Texas, "y'all" can be either singular or plural. "All y'all" is obviously only plural.

Outgassing from a chemical reaction? Guess we'll have to ask one of the scientists ... er, do we even *have* any of those on the wreck?
Chuck Vance (doesn't even play one on tv)

Bet on ingassing. If he heats the stuff it should be sort of vacuum-packed. If enough humidity present as it depressurizes - vapor?
Conan the Librarian wrote:

But where was you BORNED at boy? You ain't outta the Yankee woods yet. :)

If you say so. I know better than to argue with a man from Texas or Tennessee either one. But y'all still don't talk right, y'hear me?

Probably. We have a dentist. Isn't that close enough? What does the dentist say?
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 08:49:51 -0600, Conan the Librarian wrote:

As is 'you-uns'. Although 'you-uns' seems to subselect from a larger group.
"Y'all come back now", she said. Then, turning to my cousin and I, she pointedly commented "All 'cept you-uns, of course."
(I'm originally from WV and that was the last thing I ever heard at least three of my aunts say. I just never saw them again ... wasn't even told of their funerals.)
Bill
Anonymous wrote:

You-uns or y'uns is more of a coal country thing, up and down the Appalachians.

While I'd like to claim otherwise, we probably have Southerners who would say "turning to my cousin and I" <G>

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 03:09:24 -0500, Silvan wrote:

Does this sound off to anyone? I don't think I've ever used more shellac (by volume) than alcohol. The blonde I have from Rockler sez 2oz (about 1/2 cup of flakes) of shellac in 8ox (1 cup) of alcohol for a 2# cut.
<...>

Does the random black crap look like bug parts? Didja get ahold of some buttonlac or something?
--
Joe Wells

Joe Wells wrote:

No. Orange shellac flakes from Lee Valley. There's no telling what it is, really. Bug parts, tree bark, bits of rock, it could be anything. There's not much of it. In two cups of volume plus change, there's maybe 1/16 teaspoon or less of random black dots at the bottom of the jar. It's heavy, and settles out of suspension quickly.
Joe Wells wrote:

I honestly didn't measure it with a measuring cup. I was just guesstimating. I had to fill the little hopper on the scale a little past brimming to get the weight right.
How much does the little hopper hold? Damfino. I just know it sure took a lot more than I would have figured. I was amazed that it dissolved to add only at most two more ounces of liquid volume to the jar.

Volume is meaningless in solids, as you know, until they are dust. That's why you weigh the flakes. I'm sure you can get someone to weigh one ounce bags, even if it's the kid on the corner selling weed. Of course you'll get twenty to the pound there.
Seriously, anyone with a postal or diet scale can get a lot closer to reality than large flakes in a small bottle or dust versus chunk volume estimates. I make ounces, stuff the baggies in with some reactivated silica gel in a tightly sealed can, then do my mix in 8-oz containers. I don't brush the stuff, so the containers are squeeze type, for pad dispensing.
Don't try to make a 2 or 3 pound cut all at one go. Make a dissolved and decanted one #, then add the next ounce.
George wrote:

Huh? I *have* a scale (which I bought for weighing pinewood derby cars, not weed.) I was measuring this by weight. I realize there's no correleation between weight and volume, but I was still surprised at how much volume it took to get the weight right, and how little it wound up displacing once it dissolved. Kinda like, yes, how a foot of snow melts into 1/2" of water or so.
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 03:09:24 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan

Shore dew.

I know for damned sure that there's more than one of you in that head of yours, Eve/Silvie.

Someone mentioned some newfangled chem lab siphon. Find one of those.

TWO THIRDS? Snap a shot of that crap and post it somewhere, will ya? I think Rob might be interested. <ww,nn,saynomore> Crikey, wouldja look at their prices?
It almost sounds like you tried to use drugstore iso. That's only 70% alky and 30% -water-.

Oh, you got the cheapo orange, dincha? Live and learn. Get a paint filter to get the detritus out, then put the jar at an angle so the wax goes to the bottom. Siphon from the bottom.
OR, just use that for topcoats and don't put anything over it. (I never figured out why folks mix and match finishes, anyway. Silly YBs with their "finishing schedules" and all that rot. Oy vay.)

Do all your jigs with it.

What color did you say it was? Oh, and next time, try the Indian bug spit from www.woodfinishingsupplies.com . I think Russ might get his from Saint O'deen's old supplier. (Same country; can't be more than one supplier, y'think? ;) Super Blonde is $15.95/lb., half that of the Canuckistani stuff.
--------------------------------------------------------------- Never put off 'til tomorrow | http://www.diversify.com what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications ---------------------------------------------------------------
Larry Jaques wrote:

I'll get a picture of what it looks like now. It has settled to about 1/4 to 1/3 waxy stuff.

Exorbitant? I was already ordering something else at the time, and threw the shellac in as an afterthought. I know about shellac.net, but you can't order online. You have to pick up the phone and talk to a human being in real time. I hate that.

No, it's not milky like water. It's just wax. It was a fresh can of denatured alcohol with the metal seal intact, incidentally. I also minimized the amount of time it was open to air, so the chances that it got moisture in it are near zero.

Actually, for everything I foresee doing with this batch, I see no particular reason to bother decanting it. I will never dip a brush far enough to get to the little bit of detritus at the bottom, so I'm inclined to leave well enough alone and go spend the time I've saved contemplating the meaning of my belly button lint.

The only thing I'm going to put over it is paste wax.

I don't currently have any jigs. I'm still in the process of building the new sled for the new saw, and I'm taking a long time because I'm being so anal about it. Trying to build something that will last for years, since I expect to keep this saw a long time. For what I do, it may last me until I kill it.

Ah. I didn't have them on my radar. I'll look, next time, which will probably be a year from now. I don't reach the finishing stage very often. I haven't actually completed a serious project for over a year now, come to think of it.
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:59:53 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan

Uh, that's quite a difference.

I was thinking "real shellac", y'know, BLONDE. Sorry.

If you don't decant, you'll soon come to regret that fact. DAMHIKT.

Na worries, Mate.

WHAT? Heaven forfend! NO JIGS? What kind of wooddorker ARE you?

No router whipping of cream in the kitchen for a long while, eh?
--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
Larry Jaques wrote:

Here's a picture:
http://users.adelphia.net/~silvan/monsieur-jaques.png
I had to mechanically doctor it to bring out the contrast. I could expose for the jar, at the expense of everything else, or I could expose for the whole scene, at the expense of not enough contrast in the jar. Fortunately there was just enough contrast that I could pick out the right region with the magic wand. Although I didn't bother doing a particularly pretty selection.

For blonde, I just use the can stuff. $6 a can I think, no fuss, no muss. I wanted to do something different. You know, experiment and stuff.

DECAYYYYUNT, DEEEECAYYYYYYUNT NOWAH ORAH FACEUH THE WRATHAH OFAH THE WOODWORKINGAH GAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWDZAH.

This batch is going on some jigs, and a pinewood derby car. It's not worth decanting, I don't think.

I'm currently jigless because I bought a new TS and haven't finished making a new round of newer/better/improveder jigs for it yet. I expect the saw to last a few years, so I'm taking the time to make really nice jigs that will last, and be flexible.

That wasn't me. I haven't used a router in the kitchen in years, and that was only because way back when I didn't have any other place to do my woodworking. :)
I sure do have a well equipped shop now, for all that I still pine for new cast iron idolatry. There was a time when all I had was a B&D jigsaw, a Crapsman routah, a cheap Popular Mechanics miter box and backsaw, an electric drill, a hammer, a cheap PM combo square, and some screwdrivers. Oh, and let's not forget the B&D orbital wrist vibrator.
Since you probably have looked at the picture by now, I'll tell you what it says. It didn't turn out so well.
NEW FROM MTV NETWORKS
The rest should be self evident. :)
(Yeah, I *do* need to get a life. It's all lost at that resolution, but I did a nice job of shading and crosshatching all of that.)
On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 03:43:18 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan

Cute. Real cute, buttwipe. ;)

Never fear. You got your message(s) across.

Blondes come in cans now? Kewl!

That reminds me, Mom got a real hoot out of the pierced navel jewelry I sent to her for her 80th birthday last week. Oddly enough, she is not even considering installing it. Go figure.

No, if you don't decant now, you'll accidentally slather some of the bug guts on a prized piece before you realize it.

See above.

Oh, OK. You're off te hook.

"My misteak." he beefed.

I still have my B&D orbital 1/4 pad wrist wrecker which I bought for a client's house when I repaired some plaster in their kitchen. I was all set to learn plastering when he slid a 5 gallon bucket of drywall mud at me. I'm surprised either of us (or the B&D) survived that. What a dusty MESS! Thinking quickly, I warned his wife what was about to happen before I started. We masked off the kitchen from the rest of the house and I put 1/4" of dust in every nook and cranny of that kitchen. I was white-haired on the way home.

Wee, mon sewer. What's a Jaque Jass? ;)

Sure ya did. Any architect would hire you in a second, right?
--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
Larry Jaques wrote:

That's dingleberry to you. I knew you'd approve.

Well, they *can* come in cans, but it's probably better for them when they come in boxes.

I doubt it. Most of the bottom third is just wax. Decanting to pull off the dewaxed would waste 1/3 of my brew, so it's probably sufficient in this case just to pour off 90-95% of it carefully and leave the worst bits of rocks and rabbit dander at the bottom.

It's actually taking a looooooong time to make my new crosscut/miter sled. I'm on version two already, and I still haven't gotten one to come out with tight enough tolerances. I never should have bought that damn dial indicator. :) My last big project came out beautifully, and I built it with a POS saw that was probably off by 0.010" or more in every critical area.

That first routah experience was a hoot too, thinking back. Crapsman routah with a non-carbide bit. I tried routing an ogee on some jummy wood with no workbench, no clamps, no hold-downs, and no routah table. I made a LOT of smoke, put some dents in a few things, and almost routed Little Silvan off. It's probably why I still hate routers, and have never again used a router that wasn't secured firmly in a table.

I bought mine originally to sand Bondo on my beeeyootiful 1979 Bondo Nova. I got rather good at doing Bondo, since the surrounding metal would get new holes in it after a year or two, and the old work would inevitably fall off. Nothin' like that first rust bucket. I learned to work on cars on that thing, and to hate working on cars on that thing. I had some amusing misadventures. Like the time I almost lost my flywheel, or the time my rebuilt carburettor made the engine run at about 14,300 RPM (and I thought maybe it would stop revving so high if I put it in gear... LMAO!!!)

Only a real jaques-ass would fail to understand what a drop cap is. Yeesh.

Um, probably not. I don't know Jacques Shitte about CAD and stuff.