Shellac 101...

I'm going to build a fancy checker set for my grandfather.
I think this is a good project for me to try my hand with shellac. I've read lots of stuff about shellac, but I don't know where any of my books are... :)
Can I expect to buy something acceptable at one of the Borgs, or am I going to have to mail order from some place fancy? I can't ever remember seeing anything other than lacquer and poly at the Borgs, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.
I haven't graduated to making a real board yet, so I will probably do another one of my cheater kerf jobs in the interest of getting this done while my grandfather still has enough of his wits about him to appreciate the thing. This technique involves stain, which I know everyone hates.
I did the last board with some old Minwhacks stuff. I got it done, and it looks pretty decent, but I'd like to try my hand with a better quality stain this go round. What do the Borgs sell that's worth looking for, that works well under shellac?
I use Bonakemi Dri Fast stains and love them. They don't stink to high heaven like Minwhacks. I have to buy the Bonakemi at a flooring supply wholesaler, so I can't tell you where to buy the stuff. Others will chime in shortly with their favorite stains, I'm sure. Dri Fast is oil modified, doesn't streak and dries quickly. The official word is you can overcoat in 2 hours. So I wait about 4.
dave
Silvan wrote:

I would mailorder the best stuff you can find. Don't be cheap or lazy like some people around here are getting. And by all means, haven't we learned not to take the useless advice of Bay Area Dave?
Silvan wrote:

Shellac is available, in flake form, at most (all?) woodworking stores. If you find it at a hardware store, look for a date on the can - shellac has a short shelf life (6 mo), which is why most of us mix it fresh from flakes when needed.
--
************************************
Chris Merrill

Must be a local thing as our HD had it. Had to look hare because the help did not know what it was. Ed

I bought a gallon at a local Sherwin Williams, check the date, they had 3 cans, two of them were dated just past 3 years, the one I bought was a year plus. I was in a time crunch, so I purchased it.
It was really easy to apply. I was just doing inside drawers and inside of a dresser. Good place to practice.
Next time I will purchase flakes and try the purist approach.
Good luck.
-Kevin
Will try SW next, thanks. I was fortunate in getting a Qt. can of Seal Coat during the testing phase and found it user friendly and effective. I've been mixing flakes with 99% Isopropyl from printer supply for several years but for quicky jobs Seal Coat would be nice as an option. Several years ago I built a bunch of drawers next to clothes closet and wife commented about odorous underwear so 1 coat of 2# shellac fixed it. I coated outsides also as they were in the garage. Odors migrate.
On 8 Oct 2003 10:59:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Kevin) wrote:

I have the same problem but owe it more to White Castle.

All the HDs in my area carry it. Never ask, ya gotta look. It'll be on the same aisle as the denatured alcohol. I used to have problems with Zinsser's products (not to mention their M$-like tactics to establish a shellac monopoly in the U.S.), this stuff is quite good. I've been using it to seal insides of some old musty drawers and other stuff in the house. It dries hard and quickly. I still go with my dissolved flakes for *important* stuff, and of course when ya buy flakes you can get all sorts of different colors and varieties - the most important being buttonlac, which is very durable.
The seal coat stuff is an excellent product, IME, and if a can lasts you more than three years, you are a slacker woodworker and not making enough stuff. Did I just say that out loud?
You can get shellac online at least these places: http://www.hockfinishes.com http://www.homesteadfinishing.com
I know the owners of these places personally, and you won't find better quality dudes or flakes. I suppose in California, that would be redundant.
O'Deen - Pasadena, CA
www.woodfinishingsupplies.com has flakes also.
On 8 Oct 2003 11:23:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) wrote:

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 12:41:36 GMT, Chris Merrill

Does anyone know how to read Liberon's date/batch codes ?
Chris Merrill wrote:

That's a negative on the Borg then?
I live 200 miles from the nearest woodworking store I know about.
On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 09:09:48 -0400, Silvan

No you don't There's plenty of 'em no further away than your mailbox. I've gotten some very nice shellac from Liberon-Star http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/ShellacPricing800.html
But there are lots of other suppliers out there. -- jc Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection. If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net
john carlson wrote:

Mail order is something I work hard to avoid though. I'm trying to ascertain whether I have some viable alternative. Looks like probably not.