Shelf Pin Holes

Page 2 of 3
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:11:51 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

That's good to know. Man, you build a lot of adjustable shelving, don't you?

Bueno.
--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --- http://diversify.com/handypouches.html ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouches NOW AVAILABLE!
Snip

Well consider a hole every 2 or so inches on say a 3' tall cabinet and only having adjustments in the center 2'. You have almost 50 holes for that one cabinet. Now multiply that for all the upper cabinets on 1 kitchen project... you are up to 400-600 holes. Then there have been at least 4 kitchens and 3 bathrooms that I have done this on and countless other stand alone furniture cabinets. I probably under estimated. LOL And to come to think about it....I think that is why my shoulder was bothering me after helping Swingman with his last kitchen. I put the holes in after we installed the cabinets. The new bed however fixed the shoulder problem within a couple nights sleep. ;~)
On 01/11/2010 11:51 AM, Leon wrote:

What mattress did you put on your bed?
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

This one,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4266813298/sizes/o /
Stearns & Foster Estate King size.
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:51:34 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

OUCH! I can imagine the gut and ribs hurt, too, working overhead and sideways like that. Didja swat that sumbish -good- for making you do that? What a pal he is.
-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez

When you do physical work you some times get sore. I was probably just adding more to my already hulking muscles. :~)
I was and am certainly not complaining. The experience is well worth it.
Leon wrote:

house, I discovered I really did have [sore] butt muscles. Never knew they were there before that.

Funny how that works.....after you recuperate.
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:46:01 -0700, the infamous Doug Winterburn

Yeah, what we thought were one butt muscle turned out to be several different glutes and a few other helpers down there. Every time I do flooring or a deck, my lower back and glutes let me know it.
-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez

It took about 8 months for my right arm and shoulder to fully recover after building my deck. Lying on your back driving approx 2200 screws from the underside isn't as much fun as it may sound... Who knew?
And that was after driving about 2000 nails by hand attaching the joist track.
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 19:12:29 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

I hope you charged the owner a couple of new tools (machines, eh?) for that. She forced you into doing the hidden fastener scam, right? Thot so.
-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez

The owner was me...
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:01:54 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

That went PSA, did it? (In that case, you were UNmarried at the time, I presume?)
-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez

PSA?
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 07:49:58 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

Now-defunct American airline. See de plane, boss? It WENT RIGHT OVER YOUR HEAD. Capice, now?
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

You expect a Canuck to remember failed US companies? :-P
What I meant by "the owner was me" was that *I* chose the hidden fasteners.
But back to your original question, no new machines... Din't need any. (What more than a chop saw do you need to build a deck?)
I did buy some nice long levels and squares, though.
Leon wrote:

What Leon said -- they last a long time; in general, they don't get hard use so are pretty durable. You do spend a lot of time clearing them though

Rob Leatham

Clearing them??? I have never had to clear this particular set up. I have seen that they get clogged up but continued drilling seems to correct that. I mostly drill into plywood's however and you may be drilling in a more problematic wood...
Vix bits yes, in hard and soft woods.

I've noticed that if don't keep the holes in the bit at 90 degrees to the holes in the template you'll fill the next hole up with saw dust. It only takes a couple holes to figure it out though.
Mike O.
Leon wrote:

When mine get clogged up, the base guide portion doesn't want to spring back down, so I have to pull the wood clear in order to get the guide to spring back. This has happened both with cheap knock-off and full-up spendy Vix bits. This has happened in both cherry and maple.

Rob Leatham