Shelf Length vs. Sag

For solid wood shelves, what are the guidelines for shelf length vs. sag?
GrayFox wrote:

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm
Dave

This is the EXACT website I was hoping for! Thanks. It is now bookmarked!

When it starts to sag it's too long?
Really now. You haven't said how thick you were thinking of making the shelves. You haven't said what you might make them out of. You haven't said what type of shelf construction you have in mind and you haven't said what you might be putting on these shelves.
How do you expect anyone to answer your question?

You're exactly right on all accounts! I was thinking of 3/4" thick material made from alder. The shelves will me held up by the little adjustable thingees that fit into the holes drilled into the side panels. I'll be putting anything from office supplies to books on the shelves.
I hope noe somebody can give me an answer. :)
GrayFox wrote:

The longer the shelf, the more the sag.
But you probably figured that out for yourself!
I don't like to make shelves longer than 30 inches or so out of anything. If I have to go longer than that, then I like to put a horizontal support under the front edge, or add another vertical stile. You could also increase the thickness of the shelf, but that may not be practical, although a 3/4" shelf with a horizontal stiffener looks like a thicker shelf.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
GrayFox wrote:

reduce length and or increase thickness
secure along the back edge
include a "stiffener" --front edge trim thicker than the shelf itself
gluing it into a dado on back edge and sides will increase it's load carry capacity over a "loose" shelf
species of wood matters. MDF, ply, solid wood all have different sag factors.
Dave
The "stiffener" is the way to go. Your shelves will look a lot classier.

For 3/4" material stay under 24"