Shelf hole drilling system as seen on New Yankee Workshop

Page 2 of 2
Be aware that getting those holes drilled perfectly is a much bigger problem than you can imagine. The MEG is done by a CNC machine(not a drill press) and if you make the jig, it requires a great deal of precision to get those holes the EXACT distance apart.
If they are not exact, when the piece of stock is turned around and the jig is positioned at the center point, the holes will not be exactly opposite of one another.
Don't ask how I know this......(proud owner of a MEG jig)
Drew wrote:

I did mine in a mill .. clamped the plate above a sacrificial board & drilled away .. .. .. holes MAY be off by .001" or so, but hey - for free vs, the REAL thing .. .. .. I'll not complain.
Pat Barber wrote:

-- I AM NOT PARANOID .. .. .. but EVERYONE thinks I am !! !! !!
<<<__ Bob __>>>
Pat Barber wrote:

It's very straight forward if you do it right.
You need a drill jig that insures center to center spacing of adjacent holes.
See Fred Bingham's book, "Practical Yacht Joinery" for details.
--
Lew

The shelf jig can be found at this website. Found it at NYW site. Looks like their mighty proud of it too. I use a piece of scrap peg board. http://megproducts.com /
--