shelac

I used to have a website that sold shellac flakes at a very reasonable price. I thought it might be shellacflakes.com or something. Can someone help me out?
Thanks
You can try http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/ their website is a bit hard to use because you have to find PDF's with the catalog vs web pages. However, they have a shellac pdf right near the top and they are about 1/2 the price of woodcraft, etc.
speedbuggy wrote:

speedbuggy wrote:

www.shellac.net. was founded by someone here on r.w, then sold to another party. It's still online, but may not be taking orders anymore.
--

FF

Google it. Found 2 brands. Georg
speedbuggy wrote:

though the websites are still visible. Their prices look so good because they haven't been updated for a long time.
Try us: www.hockfinishes.com, also available at Woodcraft, http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/ and others.
--
Ron Hock
HOCK TOOLS www.hocktools.com and www.hockfinishes.com

Thanks for the info. Sad to see those nice folks in Mendocino go out of business. It was always a nice visit for me when vacationing or abalone diving in the area.
One question and one suggestion.
Q: How easy\efficient is it to dewax normal shellac by "skimming" after mixing? I know you offer dewaxed but I need to do some color studies and Hock is only available in 1lbs.
Suggestion: It would be nice if there was a "sampler" kit so I could try the various colors to see which one I really want for my project.
I am currently trying to adjust a mission finish I've had dilaed in to add some red\orange for a specific comission. I am planning on playing with some transtint combos and\or some layering with orange or garnet shellac. I hate to spend $50 on shellac to test when a 1/2 lb of what I decide upon will be more than enough. I know the flakes will hold forever but $50 now or $15 now (for 1/2 a lb) is a big dif.
Ron Hock wrote:

You can get a 1 lb bag of waxy Orange Shellac for $14 from Lee Valley or $15 from Homestead (shipping extra).
If you mix it up and let it separate (keeping it a bit warm helps this along), then you can easily decant the wax free shellac. At this price point, it could be cost effective if you are using less expensive denatured alcohol.
On the other hand, if you use Behkol or the anhydrous denatured alcohol, you are spending more on solvent that remains with the waxy residue, relative to the cost of the flakes.
Generally, I think you won't be able to beat Homestead's pricing on dewaxed; from $19/lb for orange & garnet, to $26 for the "ultra pale".
Mind you, I have nothing against Hock shellac and would order from him anytime. The price difference is small.