sheet storage

What do you use for sheet good storage? I have 15+ sheets up against the wall (after a move). I'd like to store them in some moveable way. My ceilings are 8'-1" so need to store lengthwise to the floor. I've seen some roll-around carts with bins also that might be useful. But looking to survey what has worked -or- not worked well for others. Would like to be able to easily flip through the stock - see what's there, and shuffle to get access to the one I want. Simple is best IMO.

Why don't you make something like the carts at home depot? I have seen storage like this in several shops out of both wood and metal. As far as moving it around, that is simple. Just attach casters to the bottom. The bigger (and more expensive) casters work much better than the little ones. Especially if your floor is uneven or has cracks.
Yeah, the HD 3 section cart.. where sheets go in the middle. Might be justification for that welder I've been "needing".

This might give you some ideas: http://benchmark.20m.com/workshop/Jigs_Carts/Jigs_Carts.html

Keep in mind that storage on end or on edge is a good "temporary" solution but if you are planing to store untill a project comes up you are going to want to store the sheets the same way you see them when you buy them at the yard, laying flat.
I have flat storate above my garage door hanging from the ceiling. BUT that is only for excess overages from a project. I would not advise more than 2 or 3, 3/4" sheets in that situation.
"coloradotrout" wrote:

<snip>
You have two (2) choices:
Choice 1: Flat, same as the place that sold you the sheet goods.
Choice 2: Refer to choice 1.
Lew

Here's mine, made from scraps. http://www.tomeshew.spaces.live.com They're in the workshop folder somewhere. An old solid core door for the platform, a straight caster on each side, a swivel caster on each end. Tom
tom wrote:

Tom, nice site. I particularly liked your ball rack and spectator chair...
--
Jack

Thank you, Jack. The chair is not at all so red as in the photo! Tom
"coloradotrout" wrote : What do you use for sheet good storage? I have 15+ sheets up against : the wall (after a move). I'd like to store them in some moveable : way. My ceilings are 8'-1" so need to store lengthwise to the floor. : I've seen some roll-around carts with bins also that might be useful. : But looking to survey what has worked -or- not worked well for others. : Would like to be able to easily flip through the stock - see what's : there, and shuffle to get access to the one I want. Simple is best : IMO.
I built one similar to this http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/055/extras/roll-around-store-all / I didn't put the bins on it and have sheet storage on both sides. I use clamps to secure the sheets to the center frame to keep them from warping and so far it's worked out well. Partial sheets get wedges at the bottom to keep them in line. I'm in the process of designing a panel cutting jig to add to it but that's a ways off right now. Art
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 12:39:04 -0700 (PDT), coloradotrout

My sheetgoods are kept in a swing out rack, made from 1 sheet of ply cut on the diagonal and fastened to a 2x8 at the bottom and side. I used 2 gate hinges in the side and one swivel rubber wheel underneath. Plans in ShopNotes. But it wont hold 15 sheets, maybe 6.
coloradotrout wrote:

Here are the wood storage cabinets I built:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/sets/72157622392743628 /
Bottom of the page
http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/TheShop/PlyStorage.html
You always end up with half, quarter and odd size pieces so having sevaral cubby holes for different sizes comes in handy. Depth is 6' so you can have full sheets up right on one end and long half sheets on the other.
If you leave about 2" of extra width in the full sheets bin you can go through the sheets without having to pull any out one at a time - unless of course it's a sheet of birdseye maple.
coloradotrout wrote:

Have the same height ceilings as you. I built an 8" platform of 2 x 8 and OSB next to one of my shop walls and store sheet goods there. Keeps them off the concrete floor, provides a channel for my table saw dust collector duct, and lets me flip through available sheet goods. It's about 18" deep.
<
http://mklange.cnc.net/ShopPictures/Shop001.jpg The plywood storage is
next to the wall behind the table saw. Not the best picture, but all I've got of that area.

Rob Leatham