Sharpeninh hollow chisel mortise chisels

Page 1 of 2
After much waivering for months between a Domino and a "real" mortiser, I bit the bullet and bought a Powermatic 719T (not a benchtop) mortiser. My personal reasons for choosing the PM include: I like through mortises, and the PM is actually cheaper than a properly loaded Domino.
Question... Both Lee Valley and Rockler offer sharpening devices for hollow mortise chisels.
Has anyone used either one?
Both *look* the same, but have significantly different descriptions by the respective sellers.
Comments?
Thanks! Barry

You can make through mortises with a plunge router and an edge guide. I wouldn't let that be the clincher for getting the Domino over a "real" mortiser.
To date, I have not found a need for a mortiser. I make all loose tenon and mortises and use a plunge router with a jig for the mortises. My dream tool is a multi-router for mortises. 'Sigh' :(
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

I've been doing that for at least five years. <G>

Great! Thanks for that.

Great!
Sure. I just hope it's not to late to return that mortiser.
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

No worries. <G>

In fact, I used to have a dedicated mortiser and I ended up giving it to a friend who uses it a lot more than I ever did. It was just one more piece of unused equipment that cluttered up the shop. I can make any mortise I want with a router, usually faster than I could with a dedicated machine.
message

Could you post a link to your dream?

http://www.jdstools.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category
I first saw one used by David Marks on the tube. I wanted one ever since...

Swingman has one!
On Dec 12, 3:32 pm, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

I'm on the same slope as you, kinda. I got a horizontal boring machine. I'm getting it set up with a square chisel attachment. a few bits-n-pieces to go before I'm making square holes, one of which is setting up to sharpen. the cone shaped diamond hone seems like a reasonable approach, with as you pointed out, plenty of available hardware. and no, I haven't tried either of the ones you mentioned, but I have seen them both in the catalogs.
a somewhat different approach I read about somewhere else is making sense to me right now: chuck the chisel up in the headstock of my lathe and grind the bevel from the tool post. I should be able to do it with stuff I already have on hand.
if anyone here has comments about the two devices mentioned I'd like to read about them also....
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:26:29 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'm leaning towards the Rockler device, so I'll post results.
On Dec 12, 3:32 pm, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

I've used the cone-type, very sparingly, on my chisels, and it does allright. I also believe that a good polishing of the exterior is just as important for cutting quality and ease of withdrawal. Nice mortiser! Tom

I've heard that, but I appreciate the reminder.
I understand that an edge is an intersection of two planes, so polishing the outside makes lots of sense. The cones seem like they'd do the insides properly, and the Rockler versions get decent marks on the Rockler website.

Thanks!
I've been researching different options (Domino, benchtop, full-size) for months. I've been looking for an "old-school" foot-operated, stand-up machine, and would probably still buy it if it I find it. but the PM has won my internal battles. <G>
I missed out on a kick-ass, foot-operated machine at a machinery auction because they sold it before I got there!!

Yes the cone is great but as indicated by Tom, you absolutely want to polish the 4 outer cutting surfaces on the chisel. It cuts faster and with about 70% less effort to plunge the bit and chisel. Do this immediately. I remember the foot operated one in school. ;~) AAMOF I thought I should have gotten one until I discovered polishing the chisel.

It is a Rockler product.

Is that good or bad? <G>
I've never bought a Rockler product.
On Dec 12, 6:03 pm, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

Why not? Don't you want to get on their mailing list(s)? (Insert emoticon here) Can't say if it's bad, as it works okay, and I've not tried LVs rendition. Tom
tom wrote:

I actually am on the Rockler mailing list. I try to group my mail-order purchases to save on shipping, and Rockler often doesn't seem to have as much as I need compared to Lee Valley or Highland Woodworking.
You made me nervous! <G>
Ditto, LV cones and lapping the exterior.
BTW congrats on the big mortiser.. I lust for such a beast.
I have the LV cones.
They are pretty inexpensive and seem to work well.
That observation is hardly scientific an just as casual observation that mortises have "gone smoothly"after what seemed to be an appropriate amount of interior and exterior tuning.
-steve

On Dec 12, 5:32 pm, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

Barry,
If you have access to FWW check out June 2000 issue of Fine Woodworking. Caring for Mortising Chisels and Bits By Brian Graham.
Brian is a member of my woodworking guild and has given a couple of demos on the process. The article is excellent.
Ed