Sharpeninh hollow chisel mortise chisels

After much waivering for months between a Domino and a "real" mortiser, I bit the bullet and bought a Powermatic 719T (not a benchtop) mortiser. My personal reasons for choosing the PM include: I like through mortises, and the PM is actually cheaper than a properly loaded Domino.

Question... Both Lee Valley and Rockler offer sharpening devices for hollow mortise chisels.

Has anyone used either one?

Both *look* the same, but have significantly different descriptions by the respective sellers.

Comments?

Thanks! Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

You can make through mortises with a plunge router and an edge guide. I wouldn't let that be the clincher for getting the Domino over a "real" mortiser.

To date, I have not found a need for a mortiser. I make all loose tenon and mortises and use a plunge router with a jig for the mortises. My dream tool is a multi-router for mortises. 'Sigh' :(

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I'm on the same slope as you, kinda. I got a horizontal boring machine. I'm getting it set up with a square chisel attachment. a few bits-n-pieces to go before I'm making square holes, one of which is setting up to sharpen. the cone shaped diamond hone seems like a reasonable approach, with as you pointed out, plenty of available hardware. and no, I haven't tried either of the ones you mentioned, but I have seen them both in the catalogs.

a somewhat different approach I read about somewhere else is making sense to me right now: chuck the chisel up in the headstock of my lathe and grind the bevel from the tool post. I should be able to do it with stuff I already have on hand.

if anyone here has comments about the two devices mentioned I'd like to read about them also....

Reply to
bridgerfafc

I've used the cone-type, very sparingly, on my chisels, and it does allright. I also believe that a good polishing of the exterior is just as important for cutting quality and ease of withdrawal. Nice mortiser! Tom

Reply to
tom

I've been doing that for at least five years.

Great! Thanks for that.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I'm leaning towards the Rockler device, so I'll post results.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I've heard that, but I appreciate the reminder.

I understand that an edge is an intersection of two planes, so polishing the outside makes lots of sense. The cones seem like they'd do the insides properly, and the Rockler versions get decent marks on the Rockler website.

Thanks!

I've been researching different options (Domino, benchtop, full-size) for months. I've been looking for an "old-school" foot-operated, stand-up machine, and would probably still buy it if it I find it. but the PM has won my internal battles.

I missed out on a kick-ass, foot-operated machine at a machinery auction because they sold it before I got there!!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

It is a Rockler product.

Reply to
tom

Ditto, LV cones and lapping the exterior.

BTW congrats on the big mortiser.. I lust for such a beast.

I have the LV cones.

They are pretty inexpensive and seem to work well.

That observation is hardly scientific an just as casual observation that mortises have "gone smoothly"after what seemed to be an appropriate amount of interior and exterior tuning.

-steve

Reply to
C & S

Barry,

If you have access to FWW check out June 2000 issue of Fine Woodworking. Caring for Mortising Chisels and Bits By Brian Graham.

Brian is a member of my woodworking guild and has given a couple of demos on the process. The article is excellent.

Ed

Reply to
pat_edfischer

Is that good or bad?

I've never bought a Rockler product.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Great!

Sure. I just hope it's not to late to return that mortiser.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

No worries.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I do! I will, and thanks!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

In fact, I used to have a dedicated mortiser and I ended up giving it to a friend who uses it a lot more than I ever did. It was just one more piece of unused equipment that cluttered up the shop. I can make any mortise I want with a router, usually faster than I could with a dedicated machine.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Ed, I'm glad you mentioned Brian. He's helped me with my mortiser and provided me with a copy of his article. Brian sold me a set of conical sharpening stones for my chisels and prefers using those to the sharpening devices sold by the other dealers. I've used them with great results. Brian said that the other sharpening tools are best used for reshaping the mouth of the chisel after it has been sharpened numerous times with the stones. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Could you post a link to your dream?

Reply to
Jeff

first saw one used by David Marks on the tube. I wanted one ever since...

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Why not? Don't you want to get on their mailing list(s)? (Insert emoticon here) Can't say if it's bad, as it works okay, and I've not tried LVs rendition. Tom

Reply to
tom

I actually am on the Rockler mailing list. I try to group my mail-order purchases to save on shipping, and Rockler often doesn't seem to have as much as I need compared to Lee Valley or Highland Woodworking.

You made me nervous!

Reply to
B A R R Y