Sharpening Plug Cutter.

Tried to sharpen my plug cutters (fluted, snug plug style) today for the first time following Leonard Lee's techniques described in his book (Complete Guide to Sharpening).

I think it went well, but I tried to sharpen the tops of the flutes and I had difficulty maintaining the bevel angle by hand. I did ok on three of the four flutes, but the forth ended up multi-faceted. I tried it and it seems to still work ok.

Any advice? Insights?

Reply to
stoutman

Considering the internal diameter is what's critical, I wouldn't be too worried. It *should* still work okay and far as I can cipher...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Only insight is that if it works, you did good. I also filed mine by hand. I bought a new one and it came with the sharpening instructions that either did not come with or I lost on the original. Five minutes with a file and I was cutting plugs.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Go back to "Sharpening." There's a pic of a jig for sharpening Forstners. I don't know what your plug cutter looks like, but you might find that adapting the Forstner jig will work for you.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis