Sharpening my stuff--

Hi- I'm a new guy here, but I need to re-ask an old question. I've read all the old posts I could find about honing guides, in which none seems to stand above the others, however, those posts were all back in 2001.
I have the usual planes, chisels, etc. and a Record 405 multi-plane, whose blades/cutters are fairly short. Is there a honing guide that will securely hold and allow me to accurately bevel and/or micro-bevel even the short Record blades.
BTW, if anyone knows where I can obtain the additional cutter set for the 405 (reasonably), I'd be much obliged.
I'll go back into the weeds now. :)
Thanks--
Scotsman
Have you checked out Lee Valley? They make a guide (their stuff is Veritas) for honing chisels and small plane blades. Check the specs.
www.leevalley.com
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I have the veritas and one which clamps on the sides of the blades - the name escapes me at the moment. The veritas clamp mechanism is problematic. Rumor is that they are working on a new design.
-j

I have the Veritas gauge - works fine with a little care in setting up.
Vic

You can build guides that work as well as the ones you can buy. What you build depends on how you sharpen and what you sharpen with.
http://members.shaw.ca/petermichaux/workshop/FirstPlaneBladeHoningGuide.html
I have the Veritas guide and do not use it. It is more trouble than it is worth. I'm interested to see what there new one is like.
-Peter

Scotsman, the current Stanley guide will hold short blades, the only site I know to get it is Garrett Wade, seems like limited production. Also, one of the Richard Kell guides should work well, precision and expensive. There are other sites to get them from, a little cheaper. They make a version for sharpening skewed cutters.
The current and ever popular Chinese vise type does have a problem with short blades, doesn't work too well, and the Veritas small blade holder is too thick for it.
Highland hardware online, might have the blade set as they "used to" sell the multi plane, you'd have to ask, but any site that sells Clifton should be able to order them. Axeminster sells them.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Clifton is a UK maker of Bailey-style handplanes. They have an excellent reputation for quality. Most dealers who sell the line will also be able to provide you with the appropriate kit and instruction for their use and care.
Nobody here was born knowing everything. We each learned from someone. Ask what you need to know, and enjoy learning the craft.
Patriarch

multi-plane" up in my brain, both are the same idea, my stupid confusion.
Maybe the Clifton cutters will work on the 405, I do not know but you could find out. Clifton planes are made in the UK by Clico, which does not have a website. You might find out by asking Joel, owner of:
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com / Another Clifton seller: http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com / And another: http://japanwoodworker.com/page.asp?content_id (96 Four blades cheap in england: http://www.toolbazaar.co.uk/SparesDetails.asp?id=9 And they have a set of 11 cutters: http://www.toolbazaar.co.uk/SparesDetails.asp?id % You could spend the same amount on a used Stanley 45 that comes with cutters, on eBay. And even ANOTHER!!!!!!! http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com / And another: http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 6-780&ov784 And another: http://www.hartvilletool.com / And another: http://www.thebestthings.com / And another: http://www.woodcraft.com / And another: http://www.craftsmanstudio.com /
Stanley and Kell guides http://www.garrettwade.com/ other sites sell Kell tools as well.
One of the stresses in the group is: "DAGS"... do a google search. It don't make you stupid.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
AAvK wrote: snip

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Clifton+planes&btnG=Google+Search
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
On 3 May 2005 13:41:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

with a little practise you will find that you can do a plenty accurate enough job by eye faster than you can with a guide.