Sharpening carbide router bits

When I Google this topic I get a variety of sharpening tips most using "diamond paddles" which I've found at Rockler and other sites for a reasonable price ($14.99 for 3 grits). I'm wondering if you can really sharpen carbide bits with these. Has anybody tried? If so, how'd you do? Thanks.

Reply to
greatviewcsc

I tried cleaning the flat with diamond paddles on a basic bit and didn't see a real difference.

I get my better (+$50) bits professionally sharpened for ~ $10. My local Woodcraft can send them out, or I can get them to CT Saw or Ballew Tools.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Carbide is hard enough you will spend a long time getting the bits truely sharp. You can touch them up if they aren't very dull but if they are they really need power equipment to sharpen.

Reply to
r payne

If the cost of sending them out and getting them back is less than a new bit, do that. Otherwise, just buy a new bit. I've never had any luck (patience?) to succeed to any measurable degree with diamond paddles.

jc

Reply to
Joe