sharpening and installing jointer knives

It's been a long time since I tuned my jointer. Today, I noticed some "fla t spots" on the knives. I removed and sharpened them using the scary sharp method and a Lee Valley blade holder for doing this. They are now sharp, b ut I didn't try to get them razor sharp because they won't hold that edge w hen jointing wood.
I installed the knives so that the difference in height across a blade is about .002 in. I then adjusted the blades so that the max difference for t he 3 blades as they rotated on the cutter head was about .003 inches.
I then set the height of the tables and ran a test board of kiln dried popl ar through. I does create a flat board, but I always listen for the sound of a machine as it runs. It sounds like the wood chipper I use when mulchi ng garden and tree stuff in the Fall. The cutting depth was slightly less than 1/16 inch.
Is the jointer ok or,are the blades not sharp enough or, are the adjust ment tolerances too generous?
Len
On 5/22/2014 4:22 PM, Len wrote:

Sharpness is relative, and would be my first inclination to check. Did it make the same noise with the stock running in either direction?
Did you try decreasing the cutting depth? Around 1/16" is a strong cut, depending upon the stock.
I'm with you on the sound of things running, but the proof is in the pudding and the state of the surface of the face/edge you joined should tell the tale, and be the judge.
If reaches the standard you want in a "freshly jointed" edge, particularly on stock with some grain changes. A bit of noise (without smoke <g>) would not concern me all that much as long as the jointed surface needs no further work/milling/sanding, etc.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 5/22/2014 4:22 PM, Len wrote: ...
"flat spots" on the knives. I removed and sharpened them using the scary ...

I've gone to using a homemade jig w/ a set of magnets so I can't say just how close they would mic but I'd think the heights would be better than 3-thou a little.
I'm wondering w/ that kind of noise description--you didn't reverse them by any chance and got wrong bevel side up?

On Thursday, May 22, 2014 6:04:37 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Yep, that would be my guess. (.... wrong side of the blade facing forward.)
Sonny
On Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:22:43 PM UTC-5, Len wrote:

rp method and a Lee Valley blade holder for doing this. They are now sharp, but I didn't try to get them razor sharp because they won't hold that edge when jointing wood.

the 3 blades as they rotated on the cutter head was about .003 inches.

d of a machine as it runs. It sounds like the wood chipper I use when mulc hing garden and tree stuff in the Fall. The cutting depth was slightly les s than 1/16 inch.

Problem solved. One of the knives moved when I tightened it and was up tooo high. It was doing all the work. After an hour of fiddling it sounds jusssst right! Thanks for all the suggestions
Len