Sharing photos from lighting experiment

Page 5 of 5

"Swingman" wrote

Yep. Have done that one before. And end up with a good reference book on the shelf to consult when other problems crop up in the future.
Heck, I have even gone to the Borg, looked up the pertinent info, bought my parts and went home and fixed the problem. Look for the books with LOTS of illustrations. Illustrations is a lost art. Those simple drawings do a much better job of communicating what you need to do than photos. Look for lots of color illustrations. Read carefully. Then, to quote a number of favorite teachers of mine, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!! Don't get creative, don't wing it, just follow the damn instructions. Particularly when doing electrical work.
End of rant.
Swingman wrote:

It's not all about being "done".
Sometimes I even create threads to promote discussion of what I perceive are things of general interest (like hammers). Even on simple things, we do not have agreement (use of EMT or FMT for instance?).
Sometimes I even take photos or create SketchUp models to help make my posts more interesting (and it's good practice for me).
You were the one who suggested you don't want to read how to cut a dove-tail joint everyday. I'm playing right into your hand, no?
Bill
On 8/22/2011 2:43 PM, Bill wrote:

No, you're not ... a dovetail joint is not regulated by a code, nor is it generally dangerous in the wrong hands.
You miss the point ... a book on electrical installation, and particularly the DIY versions for reasons of liability, will have, more often than not, been written by an expert in the field, edited by same, and published with a fairly good guarantee of overall correctness.
Here you are mostly getting the noise of self-styled experts who have no more qualifications in the matter than you do.
Which would you rather build your future on?
That's not to say that you can't get good advice here (Doug Miller (who knows more about the various NEC's than any electrician I've ever paid for), Lew Hodges, Mike Marlowe, to name just a few), but just trying to read one of the threads attempting to answer your myriad of question, which always seem to beget more questions than answers, and it is apparent to an outside observer with a bit of knowledge on the subject, that the wheat gets lost in the chaff/noise.
You're obviously too close to the forest to see the trees, or even recognize a tree (analogy only) ... that's why I said what I said, and why Lee did also.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

For someone who was so upset about the way I spelled THHN, that's a pretty long "run-on" sentence! : ) Actually, I thought about your message as I was replying to you before dinner, during dinner, and after dinner. I respect your thoughts, as I so those of others.
Then it occurred to me: I could just bend one piece of EMT to run from the switchbox, up the stud, and finish with a 90 degree bend coalescing with the ceiling, attaching one these C-type EMT connectors to the end. This eliminates the "middle" box in my earlier drawing.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100177497/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053&superSkuId 2890940
Not too bad, huh? It somehow represents our collective wisdom.
BTW, there is a difference between reading and writing about playing with gunpower and actually doing so. I don't come here everyday because my life is so full of problems. Well, maybe that's not true, I'm not sure. Ha. It is true that I really enjoy problem solving in a group context.
Regards, Bill
On 2011-08-21 23:09:17 -0400, Larry Jaques
Larry, yer OK in my book.. now, go stand on the -- yellow -- rubber line.
On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 23:09:37 -0400, Steve

OK, as long as you don't send me in for ReGrooving, duuuuude.
-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer
Larry Jaques wrote:

I think I agree with you. I think I'm going to take the box back. Thank you for helping to give me the strength to change my mind. No doubt others would do it a differently--and most of them would surely be finished by now. On the positive side, consideration of this approach was educational. If I am unable to thread the FMC and stay within the code, in my circumstances, then I can come back to this approach.
The technicalities concern how much of the FMC is allow to be exposed (4', I believe). I may have to do some new out of the box thinking.
Bill

Oh, _that_ FMC.

Jewelcome. (Send money.)

<chortle>
Having done drywall now, and probably having another piece 19" wide and 4' long, you could just cut out the piece over the wiring and run the conduit to the box, then quickly replace the drywall, mud/sand and prime/paint. Piece o' cake, duck soup.
This kind of work is what the HF multifunction tool excels at. Use the half moon cutter butted against a piece of furring strip for straight cuts.

Here he goes again...
-- It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment. -- Freeman Dyson