Shaper HP for raised panels

Page 2 of 2
@cs.com says...

Dave, Check your e-mail, I had this mostly scanned in before I saw your reply.
Mark
says...

Thanks again for the manual. I finally got the copy from WWW that is specific to my model. Man, I thought yours was sparse, but this one almost might as well not exist. This question might or might not be the same between our models. My shaper has a bolt up through the spindle to hold the arbors. It has a allen head on it and the appropriate wrench is missing. What size is yours (assuming yours uses a bolt way up in the spindle) - this is substantially larger than my largest allen wrenches.
Dave Hall
snipped-for-privacy@nhsd.k2.pa.us says...

Dave,
    Mine has a bolt up through the spindle to hold the spindle on, but it is not an allen head, it is a hex head, as is the lock nut that snugs up the spindle (shown as O14 and O26 on pages 22 & 23 in the manual). I think the size of the hex nut is on the order of 3/4", but I'm not sure. Sorry I can't be of more help.
brought forth from the murky depths:

Little Tommy Watson has a 2hp spinny thing you might want to look at. He put it up here on the Wreck today. Look for "shaper/moulder".
Monty wrote...

Well, my 1 HP shaper handles 4" panel raisers just fine! Of course, it has a real honest-to-goodness horsepower in it; not one of those cheap import horsepowers. (G) It's a 1934 Delta with the original repulsion- induction motor. I guess horses were stronger in those days...
Seriously, though, if you're buying *new* you want at least 3 HP for turning panel raisers, unless it will be seeing very infrequent use at such loads. Five if you plan on doing it regular-like. (G)
Jim

I just finished a cabinet with red oak raised panel doors. I used an older Craftsman 1/2 hp cast iron shaper (no, not the aluminum router/shaper they sell now) and a Freud 5" panel raiser. Had to turn the cutter over and run it above the table so I made a guard to keep my fingers attached to my hands. The doors were about 12" X 22" and have arched tops. I did the job in about 4 or 5 passes. This was my first attempt at R/P doors and they came out pretty nice. The next shaper I buy will have a table recess that will take a 5" cutter. Either a 1-1/2 or a 3 hp Grizzly. 1/2 hp will do the job but more hp will do it faster. Mike