Shaper HP for raised panels

Page 1 of 2
Is a 1.5 HP shaper like the Grizzly G1035 powerful enough to cut raised panel cabinet doors using a 4" (or so) raised panel & back cutter? Since it's cutting the raised panel front and the decorative groove on the back I'm thinking the 1.5 HP might not be enough. I'm shopping for a shaper and want to make sure I'm getting the power I need without breaking my bank.
Monty
If you are going to invest in a shaper that means your will be using it, I would advise not to go less that 3Hp, Personally for me I consider a shaper at 5HP to be small
Good Luck with your decision George

What do you built that makes 5 HP small for a shaper?
Bob McBreen
Hi Bob, I am a pro and do nothing but custom work, that I design, I have a 5 hp for some work and 6.6 for other work. and someday I am going to rebuild the shaper that I made with a 10 HP, Have all the components stored in a box, I got rid of the first table when I moved here to AZ almost 10 years ago. If a machinery manufacturer says they recommend a 1 HP motor on say a Jointer than I would by the 1-1/2 Hp
All above is okay for me, I know a lot here do not need the power that i want for your home work shops But lets face it how much more is to go from 1-1/2 HP to 3-HP Hell I have 3-1/2 HP routers.
George

Wow that is a lot of power!
It is always safer to use the right powered machine instead of pushing a machine beyond it's designed limits.
Bob McBreen
Yes that is the best way to express what i meant and what i do, Not to say that i haven't strained a motor or two beyond its limits over the years. Hell I've even strained my own motor past the limits a time or two! or three! or four!! Awe hell I lost count years ago. <G> Sent ya a private e-mail hope it went through George

Bob McBreen
Yeah thats what I did

johndoe44 wrote:

however, any shaper (that I know of) would do the job if you take several cuts. I would never try panel cutting (one pass) without a power feeder.
I make single cuts all the time with my 3 HP SECO shaper. The cutter is Freud, about 5", with an undercutter. Almost all my panels have been cut at 10K RPM, but I have some twisted grain hickory and oak that makes me slow the bit. Then it cuts fine in one pass. Wilson

Anything under 3HP is going to be underpowered for raised panel work. Also, don't overlook the relationship between the HP rating and the spindle size. For example, 3 - 5 HP behind a 1/2" spindle is bordering on dangerous. DD
"It's easy when you know how..." Johnny Shines
Reality check...most of us in the home shop scene make multiple passes with most of the tools we own. And they work just fine. We have time that is not by the hour.

True, true all true, alltho what "works just fine" may be somewhat subjective... Even so, it would seem to me that if one can afford the "right tools" then one might have more time for whatever one might want to do. I have many woodworking friends who have "time that is not by the hour" and who have better equipped shops than I. So my comments are not so far off the mark as to be construed as being out of touch with reality. DD
"It's easy when you know how..." Johnny Shines
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net says...

Agreed. I have a shop that is now a hobby and a 3 hp Woodtek shaper. Your advice regarding 1/2" spindle sizes is appreciated. I have more or less settled on using 3/4" spindle sizes as my compromise between ruggedness and affordability.

What year & model is your Woodtec shaper? I just got a 1992 with a sliding top. I need a manual (and a fence). Any chance of scanning the manual for me?
Dave Hall
David Hall wrote:

Dave,
Is yours "Woodtec" or "Woodtek"? If the latter then try http://www.woodworkerssupply.com If the former then maybe a google is in order.
Scott
up later, the damage remains.
@cs.com says...

I got mine in 2001. If you can't get anything from Woodworkers' Supply, ping me on-line again and I'll see what I can do. I'll check the plate for model and serial number, the catalog lists mine as catalog # 933-580 which is the same as #803-274 only with the sliding table. If yours is a "Woodtek" not "Woodtec", then WWS will probably have the fence available, I just got a fan cover for my 1995 Woodtek dust collector.

Yeah. I meant WoodteK... not Woodtec. I sent an email to Woodworkers Supply and hopefully they will respond. According to my plate this is a 803-646 and it has a sliding table. Hopefully they will have manuals and parts, but they seem to change manufacturers in China or Tiawan on a fairly regular basis. Mine was made in Tiawan according to the plate.
Thanks
Dave Hall
@cs.com says... ... snip

Dave,
    Did WWS get back to you? If not, I'll try to get the manual scanned in tonight or tomorrow night.

I just got an email from them this evening asking for my address so that they can send a manual/parts list. So it looks like I'm in luck. Thanks.
Dave Hall