Shameless plug for a wrench set

Just got my first use from a set of reversible ratcheting combo wrenches from Crescent. I'm assembling a contractor's saw--Ridgid TS3650, which is a nice surprise so far (lots of thoughtful touches to make assembly easier, some adde3d attractions--stiffeners for the bottoms of the legs, for one thing)--and just did the leg stand. Much easier than working with sockets in this situation, and these work beautifully. Craftsman has a one-way set that is similar, but you have to turn the head over to reverse the action.

Charlie Self In a New Hampshire Jewelry store: "Ears pierced while you wait."

Charlie Self

How many degrees of travel between each click would you say the wrenches have Charlie. Basically, are they any good in tight spots where you may only have 2 inches of travel?

Reply to
Leon

Leon responds:

Durned if I know. I've been using them on sheet metal this morning, and probably won't go much beyond that today. Their web site tells what is in a display pack, but gives no further details, at least on a quick look.

Charlie Self In a New Hampshire Jewelry store: "Ears pierced while you wait."

Charlie Self

I have noticed these Crecent sets at Sam's, same set as yours or did you get the set to test also?

Reply to
Leon

Leon asks:

For photos, but it is possibly the same one. I haven't been in Sam's in something like 3 years, though, as I don't have a card, and around here don't know anyone who does.

Charlie Self In a New Hampshire Jewelry store: "Ears pierced while you wait."

Charlie Self

They're all over. Mine're NAPA, and they have two clicks per point, near as I can tell. Longer handle, more space demanded.

The kind you flip 180 to reverse are less complicated mechanically, and probably more reliable. if KISS is worth anything. What seems stupid to me is that they are not marked loose or tighten- at least from the factory....

Reply to
George

Maybe they expect you to find an old Plymouth, use the wrench on the lug nuts. Remember those, with left hand threads?

Charlie Self "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America." William J. Clinton

Charlie Self

factory....

IIRC some of these wrenches boxed end are offset at an angle. In this instance being able to reverse with out flipping the wrench over would be a must.

Reply to
Leon

Tue, Mar 2, 2004, 2:42pm someone snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com (George) claims: The kind you flip 180 to reverse are less complicated mechanically, and probably more reliable. if KISS is worth anything. What seems stupid to me is that they are not marked loose or tighten- at least from the factory....

Doesn't seem stoopid to me. I don't know where I got mine, but they're the flip kind. I don't know if they're marked or not, and don't care, the letters'd be too small anyway. I just check before use. Very handy, and I painted the handles yellow - they hang in plain sight, and the kids have never touched 'em.

JOAT Congress shall never disarm any Citizen unless such as are or have been in Actual Rebellion.

- New Hampshire's request for a Bill of Rights, June 21, 1788

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Mar 2004. Some tunes I like.

J T

Yeah, and I remember trying to get those ()*&*(%%^@ rear brake drums off the tapered axle, too! Back off the big nut, put on the 3 legged puller, tighten it up *real* tight, then whap the he** out of the end of the puller shaft. If you've done everything right, there'll be a loud, satisfying *sprong*, and everything will be very loose. Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Reply to
George

Yup.

Reply to
George

Yeah that was funny seeing the L. If you knew to look at the end of the stud to look for the L, you new to just reverse the impact wrench to start with. Not to mention that they were usually rusted over or covered with crud. The really strange setup were the old 14.5" wheels on the old trucks.

Reply to
Leon

Snap-on and Mac have made several variations from many years - you just discovered them? (Rhetorical) Dave

TeamCasa

TeamCasa asks, rhetorically:

I just discovered how handy they are. On top of which, I don't do Snap On or Mac.

Charlie Self "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America." William J. Clinton

Charlie Self

Hell, the era I'm talking about, they still had tubes in the tires and 15" car wheels. IIRC, most pick-up wheels back then were 16". In '57, 14" tubeless hit the market. Big year for developments, IIRC, because that was also the year batteries jumped to 12 volts.

Charlie Self "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America." William J. Clinton

Charlie Self

The Craftsman set that you flip over are marked as to which side is tighten and loosen. For more money Craftsman has the offset ones that have the "switch" for reversing them. I just saw both in my handy dandy 10% off Craftsman ad that came in the mail today.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Craftsman has two versions - the flip over kind as you described from Crescent, and another with a slight angle in the handle but with a reversible switch like a ratchet - no flipping required. Craftsman advertises 5 degrees of travel between clicks. I have the latter set in SAE and metric and love them.

FWIW, I saw GearWrench (which is the flipover kind) sets at Lowes this past weekend on closeout for $24 a set. I might be wrong, but I think GearWrench makes all of these ratcheting box wrenches and rebrands as Crescent, NAPA, etc...

Bob

Reply to
bob

Hey, I just picked up two sets on clearance at bLowes- SAE and Metric. it was only like 5 bucks off, but I figured they would be a good thing to have.

So check the clearance rack ar lowes.....

-Dan

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

Yup, and they make the angled switchable kind too!

Here's some fun. I had to get a 24mm version recently. Essential if you want to do brakes on a Ford F450-550. Good 'ol Ford didn't leave enough room on the rear brakes to run an impact. What will they think of next!!!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith