Shaft and bearing-where to buy?

I have seen a shaft and bearing assembly in one of the catalogs and now I can't find it. This is a metal shaft with threaded ends that you attach your pulley and electric motor. It's threaded on the ends to accept grinding wheels or buffs and uses cheaper sleeve bearing pillow blocks. Who sells those?

I want to build a cabinet with a couple of these mounted with stones and buffing wheels.

Reply to
Kudzu

Try here,

Reply to
Bofus

It's called a buffing arbor. You can still buy them quite a few places, but they're not as common as they used to be. Try McMaster-Carr or a metal spinning or stone polishing catalog.

By the way, unless it has guards, don't mount grinding wheels on one. People have been nearly killed when a wheel blows.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I agree about the guards. Believe it or not, it's cheaper to buy a chinese grinder than to do what you say, UNLESS you want to build a very slow wheel, which is less dangerous. Buffing is another matter, though, so go for it. Try Harbor Freight and Gillom, or Gillion, a homemade tool outfit. Also W.W. Grainger. Arbors run from about $20 (sleeve bearings) to $40 (ball bearings). A washing machine or dryer motor will drive it (free). The trick is to find a motor with mounting base, which a dryer is more likely to have. There used to be an outfit that sold mounting bases from a classified ad in the back of Popular Mechanics magazine. I don't know if they are still there.

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

The local ACE hardware has them around here.

Reply to
CW

These are for buffing wheels. You should have a guard over a stone.

Reply to
Greg

Silvan

or here

Norman D. Crow

"Kudzu" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Your basic Ace Hardware has some of them. At least mine does.

Reply to
Joe Willmann