shadow box plans

Does anyone know where I can find plans for a military shadow box?

Reply to
jraymond6

Tue, May 8, 2007, 12:43am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@cox.net doth mumble: Does anyone know where I can find plans for a military shadow box?

What's a military shadow box? I spent 20+ years in the military, and never heard of one. Or maybe that's after my time, part of the 'new' military.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Excessive estrogen seems to be a mounting problem not totally unlike global warming. Some times I have to wade through it when my sister in-law comes over to sew with my wife. One would think that my son and I would balance everything out but I am here to tell you the estrogen is a much more powerful and "leaky" item when compared to testosterone. I have seen your shadow box and its "huge". You may want to have the seals checked before it begins to leak. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

IMO, an estrogen fueled conspiracy involving a hanging box w/glass cover for putting military geegaws/medals in for display, instead of a cardboard box in the closet, where I cheerfully had mine for 30 years. That is until SWMBO and daughter surreptitiously put them in a "shadow box" for a father's day about five years ago and proudly hung it on a wall in my office, although I preferred the cardboard box, in the shadows of the closet, but was left no wiggle room without appearing the ungrateful ass they rightly suspect, as with most estrogen fueled conspiracies.

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah ... especially when playing cards!! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" lamented

Perhaps you need to get something to counter this menacing estrogen influence. May I suggest this; (scroll down the page)

Lee Michaels

LOL ... unfortunately, as men eventually learn, the biggest in the world are only effective for a very short period of time at best against estrogen influenced assaults.

Reply to
Swingman

A military shadow box is a display case for flags, medals, captured German Lugers (yes, he has one), etc. I am making one, at my Grandma's request, for my Grandpa. He is a veteran of the landings on Omaha beach while with the 5th Ranger Battalion, as well as the Battle of the Bulge and numerous other actions. He was stabbed with a bayonet once and shot in the shoulder while crossing the Rhine. After years of hiding his feelings about the war, he has come to terms with it and now embraces our utmost respect for him. This is the very least I can do for such a man (and for my Grandma). A shadow box may be 'after your time', but the time has come for me to honor my Grandma's request and build him one.

I'd rather not wing it, so again, does anyone have such a plan?

Reply to
jraymond6

Wed, May 9, 2007, 12:06am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@cox.net doth sayeth: A military shadow box is a display case for flags, medals, captured German Lugers (yes, he has one), etc. I am making one, at my Grandma's request, for my Grandpa. I'd rather not wing it, so again, does anyone have such a plan?

Gods above. My stuff has lived in a dresser drawer since '81. They've never conmplained so I figure they're happy there. There is a Joint Chiefs of Staff ID badge tho that I've always felt would make a neat belt buckle - but that'll never happen. I'm just glad my mother doesn't know where they are, just in case she gets an idea that "I" would like a shadow box. I spent 18 months in Nam and if I want to look at them I damn sure prefer going to the drawer to look instead of looking at a wall. Well actually, wouldn'l, because they'll all still be in the drawer. I don't suppose anyone asked your grandpa his opinion.

I 'have' considered making a flag case, with space for medals, et al, just in case one of my sons wants to display 'em later. But, that'll be their choice.

Plenty of free plans on-line, google is your friend - shadow box free plans

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

I'll upload a basic one to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. I made it for a friend of mine who wanted to display a mini pop can. You'll have to modify the design to suit what it is you want to display.

Reply to
Upscale

Reply to
Glenn

for building one. To start, what you need to do is get all the articles together that will be displayed, lay them out in a suitable fashion on some type of pad covered backer board and then measure. Length, width and slightly more thickness than the thickest object to be display including enough space for the glass and you're set to go. It's basically a box with a framed glass lid.

Reply to
Upscale

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:20711-46411D48-305@storefull-

3334.bay.webtv.net:

Those of us not there probably wouldn't understand.

Can we express our gratitude for your service in some other way?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Wed, May 9, 2007, 10:57am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcast.net (Patriarch) doth sayeth: Those of us not there probably wouldn't understand. Can we express our gratitude for your service in some other way?

Definitely one of those "you had to be there" moments.

Hmm, short, cute, human female, maybe 150 lbs, non-smoker, that likes housework, would do it. We'll consider it a sacrifice for the Woodworking Gods too. If sent with kids, you will suffer.

No bad memories from those times. A few of having the crap almost scared out of me, but nothing I try to repress. It's all stored in memory, I don't need anything stuck on a wall to remember.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Hehe ... well said. Know the feeling, precisely!

Reply to
Swingman