Shadow Box coffee table - Ping Han

A guy in Florida just emailed me about the possibility of building a shadow box coffee table for his Civil War artifacts.
Have you started on yours yet?
I'll probably use the same design we came up with a few months back.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I have the wood for it, I think (I thought I had ordered some of the quartersawn white oak as 2x4, but it came all 4/4 thick, so I probably will have to glue up the legs). The workshop/basement has been a terrible mess because I had insulating done in the attic and around the basement where the foundation meets the framed walls. Things are slowly getting into some kind of order ...
As practice, I am close to finishing up a "sofa table" for behind our sofa, in the same style, but higher, narrower and longer. That is being made from recycled pine and/or fir. It will NOT have a shelf close under the glass top.
I am still not quite 100% recovered from this horribly bad bout of whooping cough, so I am doing things really slow.
All that explanation before I ask, what can I help with?
--
Best regards
Han
On 9/12/2012 4:13 PM, Han wrote:

Nothing really, just curious and checking to see if you had made any progress on perfecting that design. If I do this job, there will be a hinged apron for access, and the box depth itself will be close to 5", which will change things around quiet a bit from the original.
I'm envious of your working on a sofa table ... my long planned sofa table keeps getting put on the back burner. Did buy the leg stock (1 3/4 x 1 3/4) recently, but got no further than that. But, I did make an animated video of my design some months back just for grins, so far it's as far as I've ever gotten on owning an actual sofa table <g>:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ZmNRoNduk&feature=plcp

One of these days ... cobbler's kids are the last to have shoes.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I don't want to criticize, but wouldn't it be hard to build such a table if it keeps moving around like that? ;)
On 9/12/2012 7:34 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Here, nailed it down for you ... decided to go ahead and start an album in hopes it will provide the impetus/opportunity to get the actual fabrication started:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopArtsCraftsSofaTable #
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

It truly brings back memories of my bow saur years, Swingy. <sniffle, sob, honk>
-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois
wrote in

Neat!! Mine won't have the drawers, and the upper aprons/rails are 2" wide only. The lower rails are 3". And mine will have a shelf between the lower rails, resting on a cleat, as in the original design from the magazine. I am putting it together with dominos, so there won't be through tenons. The top will be glass in a frame. I was fighting that frame, because the glass kept either being squeezed or too loose. Now I sort of gave up, and it will be loose in the shalow rabbet formed by the mitered frame. I should have used my edgerouter to clean up the rabbet when it was just a bit too tight. Fooling with that soft pine is a pain.
I like the looks of the corbels (?). Are they functional, or decorative?
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Strictly decorative ... the "bling" of the Stickley era. When I take the time to make them, I make many more than I need so I always have some around. I've got a stash of corbels in red oak, quarter sawn white oak, and maple.
The corbels on the Stickley factory sofa table I used as the basis for the design has some rather large ones that I chose not to copy:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJustStuff#5787581700764725154
When I use them for my own stuff, I like them more understated:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMissionStyleSideboardPrototype02#5679356036822986818
--
www.ewoodshop.com

On 9/13/2012 4:09 AM, Swingman wrote: ...

That is a _very_ nice piece, indeed, Karl.

On 9/13/2012 6:04 AM, dpb wrote:

Why, Thank You!
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Indeed ...
--
Best regards
Han

I love the old A&C sideboards, and especially any furniture designed by Harvey Ellis. I'm looking forward to doing some inlay wotk on the CNC router, which I haven't had time to even touch in weeks. But extremely-freakin'-busy is good. Must stock up for cold, wet winter.
-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

Good to hear! What about pictures? (I need to make some soon too ...)
--
Best regards
Han

Pics of the build are here: www.artcarving.biz which will soon be made into a real website and business. ;)
I plan to make carvings from photos, too, if that's what you were asking.
-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

+1
--
Best regards
Han