Shadow Box coffee table - Ping Han

A guy in Florida just emailed me about the possibility of building a shadow box coffee table for his Civil War artifacts.

Have you started on yours yet?

I'll probably use the same design we came up with a few months back.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:9eWdnUiaPpWRAs3NnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I have the wood for it, I think (I thought I had ordered some of the quartersawn white oak as 2x4, but it came all 4/4 thick, so I probably will have to glue up the legs). The workshop/basement has been a terrible mess because I had insulating done in the attic and around the basement where the foundation meets the framed walls. Things are slowly getting into some kind of order ...

As practice, I am close to finishing up a "sofa table" for behind our sofa, in the same style, but higher, narrower and longer. That is being made from recycled pine and/or fir. It will NOT have a shelf close under the glass top.

I am still not quite 100% recovered from this horribly bad bout of whooping cough, so I am doing things really slow.

All that explanation before I ask, what can I help with?

Reply to
Han

Nothing really, just curious and checking to see if you had made any progress on perfecting that design. If I do this job, there will be a hinged apron for access, and the box depth itself will be close to 5", which will change things around quiet a bit from the original.

I'm envious of your working on a sofa table ... my long planned sofa table keeps getting put on the back burner. Did buy the leg stock (1 3/4 x 1 3/4) recently, but got no further than that. But, I did make an animated video of my design some months back just for grins, so far it's as far as I've ever gotten on owning an actual sofa table :

of these days ... cobbler's kids are the last to have shoes.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

it keeps moving around like that? ;)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Swingman wrote in news:pMudnc3YA6Xhn8zNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Neat!! Mine won't have the drawers, and the upper aprons/rails are 2" wide only. The lower rails are 3". And mine will have a shelf between the lower rails, resting on a cleat, as in the original design from the magazine. I am putting it together with dominos, so there won't be through tenons. The top will be glass in a frame. I was fighting that frame, because the glass kept either being squeezed or too loose. Now I sort of gave up, and it will be loose in the shalow rabbet formed by the mitered frame. I should have used my edgerouter to clean up the rabbet when it was just a bit too tight. Fooling with that soft pine is a pain.

I like the looks of the corbels (?). Are they functional, or decorative?

Reply to
Han

Strictly decorative ... the "bling" of the Stickley era. When I take the time to make them, I make many more than I need so I always have some around. I've got a stash of corbels in red oak, quarter sawn white oak, and maple.

The corbels on the Stickley factory sofa table I used as the basis for the design has some rather large ones that I chose not to copy:

I use them for my own stuff, I like them more understated:

Swingman

On 9/13/2012 4:09 AM, Swingman wrote: ...

Reply to
dpb

Why, Thank You!

Reply to
Swingman

Here, nailed it down for you ... decided to go ahead and start an album in hopes it will provide the impetus/opportunity to get the actual fabrication started:

Swingman

-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

Reply to
Larry Jaques

by Harvey Ellis. I'm looking forward to doing some inlay wotk on the CNC router, which I haven't had time to even touch in weeks. But extremely-freakin'-busy is good. Must stock up for cold, wet winter.

-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What about pictures? (I need to make some soon too ...)

Reply to
Han

dpb wrote in news:k2sel2$rg8$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Indeed ...

Reply to
Han

Pics of the build are here:

which will soon be made into a real website and business. ;)

I plan to make carvings from photos, too, if that's what you were asking.