Setting up TS Extension Wing

Hi all.

I spent a last night putting together my new TS and ran into a snag. I am having trouble getting the cast extension wing to the left of the blade to stay completely flat when I tighten the bolts.

The TS top and the wing are flat, checked with a straightedge. I tried a couple of different techniques including clamping some jointed 6/4 maple underneath the table and wing. They're flat before I start tigthening those bolts. As soon as I do, the end of the wing rises slight above the height of the TS top and throws it out of whack.

I read some old posts where someone suggested filing the mating sides of the wing and top, is that a good solution?

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck

Reply to
Woodchuck34

I think it was to unsert thin shims of sheet brass in strategic locations. Craft stores sell them in various thicknesses.

John

Woodchuck34 wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Munster

Shiming may be easier than filing, but check there aren't local high spots causing it that can easily be taken care of by a file first.

Also, is it possible you're over-tightening and thus distorting it?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Its very possible that I'm over tightening. I usually do handshake tight on blades and bits, but for this I though I should give it a little extra squeeze. I'll check the sides to see if there is a burr or paint build up.

I don't want to shim too quick, since they'd have to be near the top surface.

Thanks,

Chuck

Reply to
Woodchuck34

Get them all "snug tight" and then use a rubber mallet to persuade the edges together. It is time consuming but will work with patience.

Using the old "Gorilla Tight" is tough when trying to get a perfect edge.

Woodchuck34 wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

on 4/20/2005 8:37 AM Woodchuck34 said the following:

From what you describe, I'd say it's likely the best solution. Buy, beg, steal or borrow an all metal machinist's square and check both the edge of the saw table and the mating surface of that wing.

Both should be perfectly square and smooth. This is really no different (except for level of difficulty) than gluing up a table top.

From your description it sounds like you've got more material at the bottom of the saw table or extension than you do at the top since it (the wing) rises when you tighten the bolts.

As someone else mentioned it may be just a little ridge along the bottom of one side or the other or may be something more. Only way to find out is to make sure with a square. Remove the high spot or, as suggested, you can shim it. Which is better is going to depend on what you find when you check for squareness.

How much out of whack is it? Who manufactured the saw and is it new or just new to you? If you can determine that the problem lies with the wing, perhaps the manufacturer will send you a replacement provided you can speak intelligently with them about WHY it's not mating properly.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

This is a new Delta 36-682xl. When I tighten up the bolts and lay the straightedge (a true straightedge, although not a Starett), it gets pretty far off the table. May an 1/8 of an inch, although I didn't measure the gap. I was thinking about calling Delta to hear what they would suggest. The manual only offers something along the lines of "insert the bolts".

Reply to
Woodchuck34

I had a similar problem with a cast iron wing on my CS, if I understand your situation correctly. It was due to poor machining of the wing's mating edge resulting in that surface being curved inward (or concave if you prefer). When the bolts were tightened the force sort of racked the top surface causing it to distort from flat. My solution was to spend $35.00 at a machine shop to mill the edge flat along its length and square to the top. The table top mating edge could also be the culprit, of course. New saw, warranty issue?

Best of luck.

Reply to
sidney

That is pretty big.

My guess is that it is either a filable high spot or a warped/bad casting.

If it is the latter, you have to determine if it is the main table or the wing. That should be a warantee issue. I got a bad CI fence for a Delta CMS once. They sent me a new part pretty much no questions asked.

I suspect delta will take care of you.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Sidney,

I think you may be right. I called Delta and they told me I should try to start the wing a little below the table top before tightening the bolts, so that when I do tighten it, it gets pulled into the same plane. Unfortunatelty, I think they misunderstood me, its the outside edge of the wing that is lifting.

They seemed very helpful, let's see what happens when we get to round 2 with them.

Reply to
Woodchuck34

Had same problem with new Rigid. Extension wings are same on both sides. I switched them around and the fit is perfect.

Gil

Reply to
Gilles Chiasson