Setting a wagon tire

Page 5 of 6
On 8/4/2010 11:08 PM, Steve W. wrote:

I understand that a surprising number of Amish have cell phones. The way I saw it explained by one who has one is that he went to the Bishop or the elders or whatever they have (I forget the details) with this new thing and asked if he could try it. He was told that he could, with the understanding that he might have to give it up later if if was decided that such things were not acceptable.
As to what makes a cell phone different from a wired phone, I suspect the wires have a good deal to do with it.

The Ohio Amish furniture company I bought my stuff from wasn't connected to the grid but had cell phones, an took plastic. To power the machinery they had a bank of three diesel generators. Other furniture stores in the area had gas lighting. Rather surprising to walk under a fixture in the middle of the summer.
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 19:35:44 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

There are some Amish here in Southern Illinois that drive pickup trucks, John Deere tractors and such.
Mark
On 8/5/2010 7:58 AM, Markem wrote:

Are you sure those aren't Mennonites?
John Deere tractors could be New Order Amish, but pickup trucks don't seem very likely unless there was some truly extraordinary situation.

Or German Baptists (aka "Dunkers"). Their dress is almost identical to the Amish, the men have the same beards, and they typically work in the same occupations (chiefly farming, cabinetmaking, and teaching). Their theology is very similar to the Amish, except that they're more accepting of modern technology. They use electricity, telephones, cars, and tractors. They don't watch television or listen to the radio, and usually remove the stereos from their cars. (We used to live in a rural area of central Indiana, and had several German Baptist neighbors. They're fine people, kind, hard working, generous, and absolutely honest.)
On Aug 5, 9:22am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Hmmm, I think there must be some Dunkers living in the South Bronx. Lots of stereos missing there.

I meant from _their own_ cars. ;-)
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 08:18:32 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Amish is what they say they are. The family (extended) has bought an orchard and farm land in the area. I gather that they are an offshoot, they are using modern things to make profit and improve the farm and orchard.
Adapting to realities is how it was explained to me.
Mark

As it was explained to me, they couldn't use modern conveniences to make their lives easier, but business was business.

Don't know about stoves, but they're still doing some nice woodworking. We have a couple of rooms and will be adding more this year.
On 8/1/2010 2:09 PM, Steve W. wrote:

The nearest Amish smith to here is about 250 miles away and I have to drive through NYC to get there.

The layer of rubber is a thought.

They're probably concerned about sparks flying, catching the rest of the state on fire.
J. Clarke wrote:

So put the wheel, tire, a bag of charcoal, some matches, a few tools, and firebrick in your car and drive down the road to somewhere that's not so anal.
How hard could that be?
On 8/1/2010 10:30 PM, HeyBub wrote:

That would likely be in another state.

AH! if -that's- all. get some roofing 'gutter'. the galvanized variety. tack pieces together to approximate a circle of the right diameter.
Add tire, charcoal, and torch it.

I've started searching YouTube directly. Google doesn't always find pertinent videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjxWg__-vZ4&feature=player_embedded

Got a good rosebud for your torch?
Gunner
"
You need to get the whole tire to about the same heat to get the stretch you need. How about using a DC welder, as they do to thaw pipes? That oughta work. They used to use a pine stick to test for the right temp. When the pine stick smokes and feels like it is "slippery" when pushed along the tire when it is touched to the tire, it is hot enough. I think that's about 700 F or so. You will need at least 4 supports under the wheel for the tire to stop at. More is better. Be ready with at least one helper. And have 4 or 5 pails of water sitting right by your setup to cook the assembly so it doesn't scortch to much. The amount of undersize that you will need will depend on how round the tire is and how round the wheel is. Also depends upon how tightly the wheel parts fit. If you start out with a tire about 1/8" undersize and it doesn't shrink up tight, you can shorten it and try again.
I have only assisted in one session doing this to 4 wheels for a circus Hippopotamus wagon, but that's what I remember.
Pete Stanaitis --------------------------------------------------
J. Clarke wrote:

I'm with you on the ring. Should be real if possible.
How about a ring of charcoal brickets like used for the Bar-B-Que fires. Maybe a small hill in the center of the main ring circle.
lay out the ring on the ground - make a row inside and outside - then crunch them together, run a line of fire starter if you don't use auto-start ones.
So no real fire, just some bricks - and you can hose them down after wards.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 7/31/2010 8:06 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

I'm coming in late and you've probably already solved the problem. But, if not, have you considered induction heating? No open flames, no smoke, and I know it can be done with small pieces (bearings, e.g.) with regular house current. Here's the relevant section from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_heating "Heating to fit" "Induction heating is often used to heat an item causing it to expand prior to fitting or assembly. Bearings are routinely heated in this way using mains frequency (50/60 Hz) and a laminated steel transformer type core passing through the centre of the bearing."
It might require a little research and initial expense. Both the engineering and the outlay might be beyond your reach. I know it is beyond mine.
-Frank
--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.sharpbywarner.com