seriously OT: Bill Gates still greedy after all these years.

Page 2 of 4

Oh, its not a bloated version of Windows 9x, that's what ME was for. It's the bloated version of Windows 2000 (also known as NT 5.0).

Maybe by longhorn, they'll be back to the security and stability of Windows 3.1's system. I'll be watching from the sidelines though, having given up on Microsoft and moved to mac and linux.
In a slight defense of Microsoft, expecting 10 year old software to work on a modern machine isn't all that realistic. I've made some old stuff for win95 or older work on my Linux box by running an old version of windows within a virtual machine (VMWare), which works flawlessly, but expecting backwards compatibility to extend to a decade or more is a bit much to expect. Better that they try (and they assure us that they are trying, despite appearances) to fix the bugs and security problems, than spend that time making current systems work with decade-old software.
Dave Hinz wrote:

??? TSRs & 640k ???
Win 3.x + networking = constant problems. I reinstalled Windows at least 100 times on the handful of machines I was responsible for.
-- Mark

Yup, it was secure until they added tcp/IP support... and note that I didn't say it's stability was all that good, just that they've been worse since.

See above ;)
Dave

If you are just looking for drive sharing there is a small DOS TSR that rides in about 60k and allows file sharing, unfortunately it doesn't "talk" FAT32 so I had to stop using it. I am still running 3 pure DOS machines tho. (MP3 players). They never crash, boot in seconds, don't need to be "shutdown" and the total software load will fit on a diskette, leaving more disk for tunes.

it's funny how often it does work. a lot of that old software is pretty simple and doesn't need much from the OS. I keep around and use a copy of cardfile.exe mined from windows 3.1 for use as a small standalone database. it has almost no features and has worked fine without complaining on every system I've had.
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:53:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@igetenoughspamalreadythanks.com wrote:

Hmmm. That's one I should dredge up. I've tried for years to find a decent cardfile program for windows. I started using that in 3.1 and when it disappeared in 95 I switched to the cardfile in Sidekick, but that drags along all the rest of the Sidekick stuff. Cardfile was darn near perfect for keeping lists - books loaned and borrowed, insurance policy numbers and contact information, serial numbers of tools and date acquired - thousands of things that otherwise just get spread out over a huge number of places, making it impossible to retrieve what you need when you need it. I've always wondered why no one seems to make a really compact cardfile program with a simple interface and basic search capability. Once you start using something like that it becomes addictive.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
snipped-for-privacy@bendcable.com says...

I know this is not exactly the same thing, but you might check out KeyNote <http://keynote.prv.pl You could set it up to do nearly what you describe, the only place it would be lacking would be search capability. I have started using it to keep track of magazine articles that I think I might want to use in the future as well as being a general organizational tool for all of my other files and notes.
snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com says...

Thanks. Looks good. Takes a bit of getting used to, bit quirky with adding nodes etc.
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

As a follow up: The new version 1.5.6 has extensive search facilities. Upgrade now <G> You can searh across all nodes and notes. Getting used to the program now and like it a lot
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

I'm currently running 1.6.1.
snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com says...

Sorry typo, should be 1.6.5.
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

Thanks, I didn't realize there was a newer version.
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 02:30:22 GMT, Mark & Juanita

Finally got around to looking at this. It looks like a great product and source code is available. I've not worked with Borland Delphi, but this is the type of app that might inspire me to learn. Thanks for the tip!
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
How 'bout the converse - expecting new sw to work on old hw? The gurus at work are installing Win2k on P166s w/64M of RAM.
Renata
-snip-

snipped-for-privacy@myrealbox.com says...

That is just silly. It's like expecting today's computer chips to function properly in a 10 year old Chevy. Ain't gonna happen.
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)

I have installed winXP on several really old low spec machines- pentium 1 with 48 megs of ram kinda boxes- they're damn slow but seem to be stable.
too many programs would have to be upgraded on my dime. The pc is from 97, IIRC. it works fine for the 'net, Excel and photoshop. It has Firewire so I can edit videos. USB is 1.1 and all my peripherals work on that. 2 scanners and a card reader, Visor cradle, etc. I'm not gonna ditch a pc that does what i need just to get the "latest and greatest". I've spent enough dough on bleeding edge technology. :)
dave
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

I was using Win98 on a 1997 Dell and up graded in December to XP and a new Dell. I did not have to upgrade any of my software. It all worked. As far as your peripherals working on USB 1.1, they will work on 2.0 also as that is backwards compatible. The only thing that did not work well was my older Epson scanner. Not compatible with XP.
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:15:54 GMT, "Leon"

but you can change the propertiese for that and make it run in win 95 or win 98 mode. i have some things that were not able to run on xp but they do work once changed to win 98 compatibility
skeez
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 01:46:29 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

"Bite the bullet" aka making microsloth even richer? Why? I still run 95 and it does all I want. I'm not fighting any battle that I'm aware off, nor am I losing anything. I would be losing $$$$$ by "upgrading"
Barry Lennox