separator

My steel trash can separator is giving up the ghost. It just constantly compressing under the suction.
Will fiber be rigid enough, or should I just go to a 30gal steel drum.
tiredofspam wrote:

My fiber drum has been sitting under a shed on three bricks for over 10 years and it still works fine. It had a metal lid into which I put two elbows aimed in opposite directions. Works like a charm unless I forget to empty it when it is full.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I'd take a nail and a hammer and puncture a hole in the steel trash can to serve as a "bleeding valve". Keep some chewing gum handy in case you really need 100.00000 % suction.
--
Best regards
Han
"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

No need to change. Make about 3 plywood "hoops" or ribs to shove down inside the can to keep it from caving in. 4 or more stringers running top to bottom could be necessary, but probably not needed.
--
Jim in NC

Thanks, I had thought about that. But wasn't sure if it was worth pursuing.
On 12/21/2010 9:45 PM, Morgans wrote:

"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote

What'ya got to lose? 30 minutes and some scraps?
Go for it. I'll betcha it works.
Cut the inside with the bandsaw, too. Add a little glue where you cut through to the middle and tack it back together.
--
Jim in NC

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 17:49:39 -0500, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

It is, until you turn on the vac with all the gates closed and it folds up like origami. DAMHIKT
I have a steel drum now. If I forget to open a gate the flex hose between the cyclone and my 2-1/2" duct running along the wall shrinks down and one end of the not so light steel drum full of saw dust lifts off the ground.
-Kevin
On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 17:49:39 -0500, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

I use a fiber drum with plywood top.. It's been working for years with no problem..
I've never tried it with all the gates closed, maybe it would collaspe.. dunno.. OTOH, why would I run the DC with all the gates closed? lol
On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 22:49:45 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@SPLINTERSbajawoodcraft.com wrote:

Let me first say I use it with a vac instead of a DC, I doubt a DC could crush it.
And then let me say I never ran it with all the gates closed - ON PURPOSE. I try to remember to close the gate when I am done with a machine. I use a remote to turn it on which I wear on my back pocket. Sometimes it gets bumped. And sometimes I just get ahead of myself, thinking I already opened the gate.
-Kevin
On Dec 21, 4:49pm, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

Came late to the party, but others have chewed around the edge of my question . . . Are you using a DC or a shop vac? I doubt a DC wou;ld collapse it even with all gates closed. Norm
On this particular unit a vac. It's for my small machines with small ports.