Sensitized to formaldehyde/need workbench

Page 5 of 5
Bill wrote:

There is urea formaldehyde free plywood available and it may be easier to find than you think.
Anything from Columbia Forest Products, one of Home Depots biggest suppliers (and their exclusive hardwood plywood supplier in some areas), is formaldehyde free plywood, so start at the BORG.
Here lately in our area, BORG hardwood plywood is often better than some A-1 ply you'll find at twice the price in a lumber yard or hardwood dealer, you just have to shop around and know the difference ... and it runs in shipment cycles so you need to stay on top of it.
... and I buy a good deal of plywood. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Bill wrote:

IANAD (instead of the usual L :) ) but I'd wonder at least some about formaldehyde being the irritant given the description--I'd think by that time any outgassing has long since ceased and the more likely allergen being molds/dust/etc. from the storage in a shed unless it was a controlled environment which I'd gather it probably wasn't.
Just a thought...

Well, I feel pretty confident formaldehyde is a problem. The items I previously mentioned were in a somewhat controlled environment --it was in an outdoor "closet" attached to our apartment-which I loosely referred to previously as a shed. Evidently the melamine and plywood hadn't outgassed enough (nothing made with formaldehyde ever outgasses completely). I haven't had trouble being around old pieces of plywood, like those in the small barn I have now. I experienced some shortness of breath in school working with watered down formaldehyde 30 years ago (no dust there).
I bought a Sauder bookshelf, put it in my office and it made me sweat like a mad man (I have numerous lesser and similar examples like that, with other brands of prefab furniture). When I walk into the Mennards or Home Depot, I can "smell" the formaldehyde and I leave the stores with a shortness of breath that last for at least a half hour. This "experiment" has been repeated at least a dozen times. I visited Lowes successfully several times, but on my last trip I walked through their "wood" area -- and bam, same thing. Am also allergic to artificial sweeteners, most processed foods (extracts--malt extract, yeast extract), anything with MSG, fermented foods (such as sour-dough bread), and foods that are cooked too long (they release "free glutamates"), and air fresheners. The number of places I can eat out is extremely limited. Two of my worst reactions allergic occurred after I hand-sanded a piece of melamine--and on a different day, the edges of a piece of plywood.
IANAD either, but not a week passes that research and experiments on this topic are not "forced" on me. Like when I use a bathroom that only has antibacterial soap...(yep).
It is conceivable that that some other chemicial in the glues besides formaldehyde is affecting me. But, for all practical purposes, what's the difference?
What's really worse is that period when you don't know what food additive you have to avoid... Things got serious for me at age 39 (I think the chemicals were always irritants, but I could ignore the symtoms well enough until then).
Bill
> Am also allergic to artificial sweeteners, most processed foods

If you've followed this thread, then I thought you might enjoy hearing about a brief conversation that my wife and I had today.
We were out driving around shopping, and knowing she had, I asked my wife if she had seen the SawStop advertisement where the saw stops when it cuts into a hotdog....
I mentioned that the salesperson at WoodCraft thought that they were a good idea and I asked her if she thought is would be worth $1000 or so for me to buy a saw with the the Saw Stop safety feature.
Without missing a beat, she said, "You can't even eat hotdogs!". :)
Bill