Senco brad nailer models - which one?

In an earlier thread on brad nailers, I came to the conclusion that the Senco 25XP was highly desirable except for price ($149). Now Lowe's has a different model on special - the FinishPro 18. They are giving a $20 gift certificate with it, which I will definitely use. I also have a 10% off coupon. Lowes does not carry the 25XP so I have to pay full price for it. But the net for the FP18 would be $87.10.

Can someone tell me any key or substantial differences between these nailers? I see the 25XP is more powerful, but everyone seems to say that 2" or longer brads are kind of academic because they bend so easily as to not be practical.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis
25XP doesn't require oil, FP18 does. FP18 is made in Taiwan and is in Senco's hobbyist line (previously called Accuset). 25XP is a professional tool but I don't know where it is made. I have a feeling, but am not sure, that Senco moved all of their production.

I'm sure the FP18 will work just fine.

Reply to
AL

The FP25XP is on my short list of wants. Not to sure about the FP18 other than it has a 1 yr warranty and the 25XP has 2 years. Some of the reasons for the 25XP are is locks when you run out of nails, a diffinate plus; Oilless. Clear nose piece so you can see exactly where the nail is going. Also, I think the discharge is out the handle, away from the work and your face. The FP18 nail range is 5/8-2" whereas the FP25XP shoots

5/8-2-1/8".

I can see where it's a tough choice but my vote is for the 25

Erik

Reply to
Erik Ahrens

I just bought the 25 last week to put in 1/2" thick wainscoting in a bathroom. Much of the surrounding walls are plaster and I didn't want to be pounding 3 or 4 finish nails into each beaded board and risk breaking up or cracking the plaster.

The brad-er performed wonderfully. It drove the 18 gauge brads about

1.5" into the hard as rock 80 year old fir studs - this wood has been known to bend a hand-driven 16d nail on more than one occassion. I also shot a few brads into some concrete tile backer board to secure the moldings that extended over the sink's backsplash - no problem.

I appreciated the no-fire when it ran out of brads and I had zero jams. The exhaust discharge is out the top, but is easily aimed 360 degrees.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

That's a great testimonial. I think I might wait and get the 25.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Forgot to also mention it shot through 3/4" MDF baseboard, a shim and then the 2x4 with ease. There was one instance where it didn't quite countersink a couple of brads in the wainscoting area - musta been one of those iron DougFir studs - I tried the adjustment for increasing the power (I believe it's an extra 25 or 30%) and the following brads countersunk just fine.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I just recently got the FP, Bob...and I used it to reframe and install

4 vinyl windows. I used a lot of the 2" brads...thru the new framing and into 100-year-old REAL 2x4's. Had no problems whatsoever!

The only minor drawback...which you watch out for in a hurry...is that it'll still shoot if there aren't any brads to SHOOT! It'll pound a nice little dent in the wood. But there's nothin' there! lol

For what you want to do, I'd say the FP would be the better value. But the other features of the 25 may be important to you. You need to decide, of course.

But I doubt if you'll be disappointed no matter which way you go.

Good luck.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

I got the complete system...with a 1 gallon tank. I was shooting at about 95 psi. I got about 20 or so shots before the compressor kicked on again. But I could ALWAYS keep ahead of the compressor...even when it was shooting and filling up the tank.

The compressor is totally portable...I don't think it weighs much over

20 lbs. I carry it everywhere...especially out to the cars to fill the tires.

I would go that route.

There's no doubt you'll run out of air when you need it the most. And you'll lose some air just hooking up the gun.

I'd go with door #1. lol

Good luck, Bob

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Another great testimonial! I've heard good about both models. I'm not going to make my living with this but I expect to use it frequently. Obviously Senco just makes good products.

I'm curious about how much air it takes for each shot. Does the nail gun bleed or only use air when it shoots?

My air compressor is about 6 scfm at 100 psi. Its not exactly portable - just luggable. I'd like to use the brad gun to put down some quick and dirty flooring in my attic (2 story house). Is it feasible to either 1) run a very long air hose into the attic or 2) fill a static air tank and use it for a few shots sans air compressor?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Yes and yes

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I would use the static tank if I had a couple dozen nails to shoot. Any more, and all those trips to refill would make you wish you had run the hose.

After all, an excuse to go buy more hose? Priceless!

Reply to
Morgans

Trent, I wanted to be absolutely sure which model you purchased, as both nailers are called "Finish Pro". I thought you purchased the FP18. Is that correct?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Correct, Bob.