Semi-OT What's Wrong Here?

Here it CT, you get the permit as an individual. Only then can you apply for plates for the car. Both our cars are in both our names so I'm not going to do that but I'm not going to do that even if I can. . The placard is signed by my wife so if I was to be challenged because I used it, there would be a hefty fine. I can walk pretty far to avoid spending $200+

There are strict rules on how to qualify, but I'm sure there are abuses if a doctor will sign off. There are temporary tags for injuries that will heal such as the broken leg. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The bottle they push/carry around and around the store seems to be less of a burden in than outside.

Reply to
George

It's not different in concept, only (perhaps) in implementation. Every state in the US of which I am aware does essentially the same thing--a handicapped individual has to apply and get an affidavit signed by licensed physician stating the handicap and whether it is permanent. If permanent, then a permanent handicap license plate will be issued for a vehicle of choice, but it is still only valid to be used in the handicap zone when the individual for which it was issued is either a passenger or the driver, even though the tag is affixed to the vehicle. Abuse by others of the privilege is punishable by pretty hefty fines. Most, if not all, states will also issue at the same time one or more non-fixed permits which may be placed in the vehicle so the same individual may be a passenger or operator of another vehicle if necessary. Again, same rule applies--others using the permit are not legal and subject to fine/towing. Again, most if not all states will honor other states temporary permits on out of state vehicles and many will for in-state (MIL is visiting from Left Coast, for example, she can bring her hanging permit w/ her rather than go get a local temporary)...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

That may also be true...climatic conditions can have a major effect. That said, there are degrees of handicap and some may well use a limited amount to the fullest extent possible--

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

... snip

Nope, thanks, you answered my question.

Mark & Juanita

Unfortunately, in the US, governments don't, thus they are treated as businesses and must set things up according to the federal formula of x spaces per y occupants of the building in question. As a church, we would not want to have any of our members with disabilities unable to access the church, thus regardless of the number of members or guests with mobility difficulties, we would make provision to accomodate those people. As I mentioned in my examples, in one case when we added on, we were required to provide 4 spaces -- in the entire history of the congregation we had never had more than two people at a time who needed such accomodation, and for long periods of time, we had no one who needed them -- for a small congregation the expense of adding parking lot and then consuming 50% of the expansion for spaces that would not be used was a burden on the members that didn't seem right. At our current congregation, we have a large number of elderly people (for some reason Arizona seems to attract that type of person :-) ). Strictly following the letter of the law would leave us short by several spaces the number of accomodations we need to provide to accomodate all of our members.

Both good will and also simply because it's the right thing to do out of caring for those in our midst.

Mark & Juanita

obviously a mental handicap.. probably a poor vertically challenged middle aged guy being treated for over compensation..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I can top that story. It is at least conceivable that more handicapped persons might join the congregation (at which point I'm confident the congregation would have been happy to expand the accomodations anyhow) but I suppose also some handicapped persons might be inspired to join the congregation becuase of the surplus accomodation. Not nearly as likely in the story below.

A few years back I stopped in at a local bar/package store (carryout) I had not visited in a number of years. The local topography was such that the parking lot rose gently up to main entrance so that it and the whole interior floor were basicly at grade. The building was (probably since first built) handicapped accessible without any special consideration. I bet the guys delivering kegs and beer cases appreciated that too.

Anyhow, the first thing I noticed was that a lot of remodeling had been done. Then I noticed a stage with a miror behind it had been added to the side. E.g. the owners had converted the bar to a strip club. Then I noticed that there were two railings between the stage and the audience, the outer railing was about 30 inches in front of the inner railing and inclined at a slope of about

12/1. Yes, that's right. The bar was required to build-in wheelchair access to the stage so that there would not be any architectural barrier for wheelchair-bound strippers they might hire.

In this case "build it and they will come" didn't seem likely.

No kidding. I'd think so too.

But I've read that among the worse offenders prior to laws requiring accomadations were some high class restaraunts. Not did many not provide assistance simply out of good will, but many actually refused service to persons in wheelchairs and even after many were notrious for 'losing' reservations, if someone in the party that made them showed up in a wheelchair.

Maybe those stories were true, maybe not, I never checked and since then I've learned to eb lot more skpetical of such stories.

Oh -- I have no trouble at all believing yours however.

Reply to
fredfighter

wrote

I have heard of a number of situations where much expense was involved in building ramps for folks who don't exist. I wonder if the government agencies could produce even one instance of a wheel chair bound stripper.

And even if they could, would she want to work like that?

And even if she did, who would hire her?

What next? Water ramps for goldfish?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

You sound like a mental handicap to think that a person with a handicap can't/shouldn't own a Corvette.

Reply to
Odinn

I think the way she got it is by being the legal guardian- my sister cannot speak or move any part of her body except her right arm, couple that with an estimated mental capacity of a two-year old child, and it's pretty clear that someone else needs to fill out the form and sign it. Not sure if it's *legal* or not, I just know it isn't right.

Reply to
Prometheus

Absolutely nothing wrong to procure it in her name...only thing wrong would be to use it for other purposes...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Yep, I was referring to her using it on a car that cannot transport my sister. No way to use it for it's intended purpose whatsoever. On the van with the lift, it makes perfect sense!

Reply to
Prometheus

  • First, it's not about the walk to the HD inside and out, it's about the weather. They put handicapped people closer to the door as some handicaps take longer to get in and out of vehicles. The same amount of time it takes someone from the farthest spot to get to the door, the handicapped person may just be getting to the door. My father worked with a (Mostly) quadraplegic person at IBM (say Hyatt accident) and they verified that the place they were having a meeting was handicapped accessible (before A.D.A), the place said yes. When they got there they found out you needed a room key to swipe open ALL the restrooms. One of the managers called the hotel management and said they left a deposit outside the door. This whole get together was supposed to be about making computers more accessible (the Hyatt really brought to their attention).
Reply to
Randal