Semi-OT What's Wrong Here?

Exactly! You don't sit in a Corvette, you WEAR it! If you can get into or out of a Corvette without assistance, you can damn sure walk a few extra parking spaces.

What really frosts me is the woodenheaded ash-holes (just to get back on topic) who roll up and park in the handicapped zone, properly displaying the tag or plate, and stroll into the store while leaving the handicapped person (obviously so) sitting in the car or van. It's meant to be a convenience, life-saver for the handicapped person, NOT the person who happens to be riding with them.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Yes, but . . . . . That point is just plain flat WRONG. Getting in and out of a car is far different that walking when you have a heart problem of COPD and the humidity is 99%. My MIL was agile enough to get in and out of any car, but her lung cancer would not allow her to walk more than 50 feet. No, the OP was just a narrow minded individual uneducated in the problems others have in their daily lives. I hope he remains healthy.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I saw a good setup the other day. A car (Buick Century) pulled into the parking spot and had a carrier on top that looked like the pods people use for luggage on a vacation. From the driver's seat he was able to open it, have the chair come down right at the door and shift himself into it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I understand your point but some of the vehicles parked in those spots just seem out of place.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
nospambob

================ Yea... I have to admit that I stopped riding Motorcycles a long time ago... (15 or so years) and I "wimped out" and now "play" with Corvettes... (64,72,76,79, & 95 and looking for a used Z06 to add to the fleet)...

BUT I do have serious claudication in my left leg and have and use a Handicap sticker...on level ground I can walk pain free for a couple of hundred yards max...up hill walking is much less..then the muscles start cramping because of lack of oxygen...and I stop.. wait...hurt...wait...feel the blood feeding my muscles then start walking agian... thank the good lord I have no problems working a clutch

BUT I really can not remember ever driving a Corvette to Home Depot or Lowes etc....2 reasons...some ass hole may breath on the car...and us "anal" Vette owners could not have that...I can't haul many 1x6's in any of the Corvettes... even with the top down...

BUT the original posters comments are true...I preceive that many people see me park in a handicaped space hop out of my truck and walk into a store and think this guy is NOT handicaped....!

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

===================== Ok... I do have a Handicap (walking is limited to a few hundred yards max ) But I do own and drive 5 Corvettes and to be truthful I really can not understand why people think they as so hard to get in and out of...

The c4 Corvettes (84-96 models) are I admit a royal pain sometimes ( where you can not open the door all the way) to get out of since you sit below the bottom odge of the door sill...BUT any of the other generagions are just as easy to get in and out of as a Cadilac ... In fact I drove my 72 or 64 Convertible all the time before I had back surgury because I could "DROP" into them...much less painful then gettin in my truck...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Full of it. I have seen and cared for more people with problems than (I hope) you'll ever see.

I'm a medic.

Reply to
George

On 7/3/2005 11:33 AM Leon mumbled something about the following:

Seem out of place for what? Is my motorcycle out of place for being in a handicapped spot? A Hummer? A Lotus Elan? Those of us who are handicapped in whatever capacity should still be allowed to own the vehicles we wish to own.

Reply to
Odinn

On 7/3/2005 10:28 AM Leon mumbled something about the following:

I think you are as stupid as you sound.

Reply to
Odinn

Out of place for the perceived activity required to get in and out of such a vehicle. I am handicapped also but would not expect a special parking permit because half my thumb is missing. Seem to me that many of the vehicles require more effort to get into and out of than walking a little farther like the rest of us. And, I don't think you should be limited to driving any particular vehicle but if you have the flexibility to get into and out of some of the tougher vehicles the walk up to the store should not bother you either in most cases. IMHO the spaces should be reserved to those that really do have a hard time getting around.

Reply to
Leon

The Corvette's proximity to the ground is much lower than a Cadillac. If you have weak or bad knees, you will have a harder time getting in and out of a Corvette than a Cadillac.

Reply to
Leon

The feeling is mutual.

Reply to
Leon

On 7/3/2005 3:40 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:

So, a person who has trouble breathing and can't walk very far should be limited to a vehicle that isn't a motorcycle or a corvette? You are dense.

Reply to
Odinn

On 7/3/2005 3:43 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:

You've obviously never gotten into our out of a recent Corvette, they're easier to get in and out of than my Stratus.

Reply to
Odinn

On 7/3/2005 3:45 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:

You're the one proclaiming that a handicapped person shouldn't drive a Corvette.

Reply to
Odinn

Well you obviously do not have bad knees. Simply getting up from a low sitting position is more difficult than standing up from a higher sitting position. I have sat in plenty of Corvettes, I retired from the automotive industry selling GM vehicles, parts and service. They are not as easy to get out of as a full sized car or truck.

Reply to
Leon

No, I have simply indicated that if you have no problem getting in and out of a Corvette you probably won't have trouble walking an extra 150' to get into the store like the rest of us. The walk inside the Borg that the OP used as an example is normally going to make the parking lot walk seem pretty short by comparison. The fact is, probably 90% of those people driving vehicles that require more effort to get in and out of would suffer no ill effects by walking a bit farther. I do admit that the there are exceptions but I seldom witness people parking in handicap spots moving any slower than I do.

Reply to
Leon

There are a lot of heart and lung and other ailments that don't make flexibility difficult but that do make walking too far dangerous. Loss of flexibility, loss of limbs, loss of use of limbs and painful legs and knees aren't the only problems covered by disability tags.

Reply to
Charlie Self

On 7/3/2005 4:59 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:

I do have bad knees, and getting in and out of my Stratus is hell on them. I didn't say there were as easy as a truck, but they are easier to get in and out of than my Stratus. Altho, my motorcycle is even easier to get off of than it is to get out of either the car or truck, I just fall off.

Reply to
Odinn