Semi-OT What's Wrong Here?

Page 2 of 4

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 14:26:16 GMT, "Leon"

====================Ok... I do have a Handicap (walking is limited to a few hundred yards max ) But I do own and drive 5 Corvettes and to be truthful I really can not understand why people think they as so hard to get in and out of...
The c4 Corvettes (84-96 models) are I admit a royal pain sometimes ( where you can not open the door all the way) to get out of since you sit below the bottom odge of the door sill...BUT any of the other generagions are just as easy to get in and out of as a Cadilac ... In fact I drove my 72 or 64 Convertible all the time before I had back surgury because I could "DROP" into them...much less painful then gettin in my truck...
Bob Griffiths

The Corvette's proximity to the ground is much lower than a Cadillac. If you have weak or bad knees, you will have a harder time getting in and out of a Corvette than a Cadillac.
On 7/3/2005 3:43 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:

You've obviously never gotten into our out of a recent Corvette, they're easier to get in and out of than my Stratus.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Well you obviously do not have bad knees. Simply getting up from a low sitting position is more difficult than standing up from a higher sitting position. I have sat in plenty of Corvettes, I retired from the automotive industry selling GM vehicles, parts and service. They are not as easy to get out of as a full sized car or truck.
On 7/3/2005 4:59 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:

I do have bad knees, and getting in and out of my Stratus is hell on them. I didn't say there were as easy as a truck, but they are easier to get in and out of than my Stratus. Altho, my motorcycle is even easier to get off of than it is to get out of either the car or truck, I just fall off.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

I've done it that way - it's part of the reason I now have bad knees. Of course I was traveling about 65 mph when I fell off.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On 7/3/2005 9:34 PM Tim Douglass mumbled something about the following:

I destroyed on knee hyperextending it playing baseball that never healed properly, the other I busted pretty bad hitting it with a maul while splitting firewood.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

from
That's as about a short-sighted statement I've seen in a long while. I could climb into a corvette and get out, but I'm not capable of walking 5 feet without grab bars to help me keep my balance. They're called "Arms and Hands" Leon and if you had any idea what you were talking about you'd realize that they're used for holding onto things when moving around.
You might believe your smiley tempers your statement, but it doesn't.
wrote in message

I am not trying to ruffle any fetahers here as I do indeed believe that many situations are legit. But when the guy parks in the handicap area and walks briskly into the store and or walks his empty cart to the cart parking spot after emptying it I cannot see the point of him parking in the handicap zone. I am not quite sure I could guess what the disadvantage to parking like others would place on him. Living in Houston I see this just about every time I go to the Borg.

many
walks
spot
Well, I have to agree with you in one respect. There's always going to be a number of people that will take advantage of the system. I've seen some really ridiculous examples of that too.
Up here in Toronto, the disabled transit system is called Wheeltrans. I saw a rider once who just missed his Wheeltrans bus and sprinted a good <20 second 100 yard dash down the street to try to catch it.

A fellow comes into the woodworking store on Thursday afternoon, nice looking guy, in a wheelchair, wearing a Harley Davidson tank top. He's got longish hair, and looks like he knows his way around the wheelchair from long experience. Buys $20 worth of hardware thingies for his project, and rolls out to the lot, where he proceeds to load the chair into a case on the back of his three-wheel Harley with hand controls, and ease on down the road, big grin catching bugs. What handicap?
Corvettes are for wimps.
Patriarch, hoping George's wife feels better soon...
On 7/2/2005 8:07 PM Patriarch mumbled something about the following:

There's several of us who ride motorcycles with handicapped plates. Are we handicapped, depends on what you consider a handicap. I'm unable to stand for long periods of time, or walk long distances (bad back, broken in 1986, and bad knees), but I can ride a bike just fine.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

===============Yea... I have to admit that I stopped riding Motorcycles a long time ago... (15 or so years) and I "wimped out" and now "play" with Corvettes... (64,72,76,79, & 95 and looking for a used Z06 to add to the fleet)...
BUT I do have serious claudication in my left leg and have and use a Handicap sticker...on level ground I can walk pain free for a couple of hundred yards max...up hill walking is much less..then the muscles start cramping because of lack of oxygen...and I stop.. wait...hurt...wait...feel the blood feeding my muscles then start walking agian... thank the good lord I have no problems working a clutch
BUT I really can not remember ever driving a Corvette to Home Depot or Lowes etc....2 reasons...some ass hole may breath on the car...and us "anal" Vette owners could not have that...I can't haul many 1x6's in any of the Corvettes... even with the top down...
BUT the original posters comments are true...I preceive that many people see me park in a handicaped space hop out of my truck and walk into a store and think this guy is NOT handicaped....!
Bob Griffiths

Why not? Any logical reason a handicapped person cannot drive a sports car? Luxury car? Truck? Having a heart or lung disease does not mean you have to drive a ten year old sedan.
My wife has a blue hanger. Sometimes we use it, sometimes not. Sometimes we intentionally park at the end of the lot and enjoy the walk. Other days she care barely make it to the door from the handicapped places. Since your wife is in a chair, all you have to do is push her a little further. What is the problem with that? I've done that many times when my MIL was still alive.
You sir, should be thankful you are in good health and that your wife will recover. Others that may look normal, don't know if they will wake up tomorrow morning. Please don't deny them a Corvette if they can afford it. .

I guess if you qualify for handicapped parking you're not allowed to have some money and/or be a car enthusiast.
wrote in message

LOL. When was the last YOU crawled into of out of a Corvette? I think if you can do that you may not be as handicapped as your tag indicates.
Leon wrote:

Exactly! You don't sit in a Corvette, you WEAR it! If you can get into or out of a Corvette without assistance, you can damn sure walk a few extra parking spaces.
What really frosts me is the woodenheaded ash-holes (just to get back on topic) who roll up and park in the handicapped zone, properly displaying the tag or plate, and stroll into the store while leaving the handicapped person (obviously so) sitting in the car or van. It's meant to be a convenience, life-saver for the handicapped person, NOT the person who happens to be riding with them.
On 7/3/2005 10:28 AM Leon mumbled something about the following:

I think you are as stupid as you sound.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

The feeling is mutual.
On 7/3/2005 3:45 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:

You're the one proclaiming that a handicapped person shouldn't drive a Corvette.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7