SEMI OT - VW now has a truck

Page 1 of 2
http://www.sparwood.bc.ca/look%20what%20the%20did%20to%20our%20truck/beetle.jpg.html VW truck, in case anyone want to do some wood hauling. VW is noted for its economy. I want one.
JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy. - Unknown
Scheie Wagon did make trucks in the 50's & 60's. check out http://www.dropgates.com / They had a nice feature where you could drop the tailgate and both sides to make it a flatbed. Dreadfully underpowered tho.
Art

Sun, Apr 18, 2004, 7:59pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@magnet.com (WoodButcher) says: Scheie Wagon did make trucks <snip>
Sigh. I know.
It was a joke. Bigger sigh.
JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy. - Unknown
scribbled:

Hey, my father had one of those whne he had a millwork shop back in the late 50s. (OBWW)

Not just underpowered, but bad gas mileage to boot! And how about crashworthy? A motorcycle is safer, because there's a small chance you can be thrown clear.
--
John Snow
"If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be here"

Not sure how you think that's a good thing; in every accident I've responded to where someone was "thrown clear" it's been very, very bad for them. If you've got enough energy to be thrown any distance from a crash, that's an awful lot of hurt that's gonna happen when you land...

lol ya i love it when people talk about how safe it is to be 'thrown clear'. often its the same people who claim that youll get stuck in your car if you wear seatbelts. they too seem not to realize that if there was enough energy to trap you in the car, and jam the seat belt, and somehow put you in a position that you really cant get out, that without the belt you would simply be hamburger on the windshield.
randy

That has always puzzled me. The way I figure it, if you're flying through the air at 40 mph or whatever, you just *gotta* be better off with two tons of steel around you than on your own. I just can't imagine how anyone could think otherwise.

Some years ago, a state trooper wrote to Ann Landers, to encourage people to wear seat belts, after having been at the scene of yet another fatal crash. He said that in over 20 years on the force, he had assisted at hundreds of accidents, many of them fatal, and he's had to cut seat many belts to help people get out of their wrecked cars, but, he said, "I have *never* removed a seat belt from a corpse."

Of course not, the troopers let the EMT or Coroner do that.
Sorry, but that always seemed like a bogus statement to me. Even when it was being used in the buckle-up campaigns on TV some years ago, before that letter to Ann Landers I might add. True on the surface, but silly if examined closely. They are trying to give the impression that no one ever died with a seat belt on, which is patently absurd.
I'm not saying seatbelts are a bad thing, just that I don't like sleazy phrasing tricks used to support what should be supportable by good solid evidence.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Depends who gets there first. We're not going to leave the person where they are, unless they're _obviously_ dead; we'll take 'em out and work 'em. There are only a couple of situations where "obviously dead" applies...

I don't think that's what they're saying, but it's interesting to note that in over a decade of being an EMT, the only people who have been hurt enough to need a helecopter transport, are the ones who weren't seatbelted. Yeah, anecdotal evidence and all that, but the pattern is very distinctly present. Can't think of any dead ones who were seatbelted either, come to think of it.

Ah, but remember - some people _think_ about things, and others _feel_ about things. Those who understand logic and science, can understand percentages, statistics, and that sort of thing, but won't be affected by emotionalized approaches like the trooper one. Likewise, those who are going to react to, and learn from, a picture of someone whose face went through the windshield because of no seatbelt, aren't necessarily going to be swayed by logic and percentages, but they'll remember that picture of the guy with all the stiches.
In reality, those who won't wear seatbelts aren't doing it because they're ignorant of seatbelts, it's because they've been told and have chosen not to take advantage of them. It's a poor and sometimes fatal decision, and chances are pretty good that they're not going to change their mind based on statistics, anecdotal stories, or whatever.
Dave Hinz (Firefighter/EMT)

Exactly my point, you are an EMT. The trooper generally is going to leave a belted occupant in the vehichle till the EMTs get there with a backboard, right? Unless the car's on fire or there is some other immediate danger troopers don't pull people out. At least that has been my impression.
Again, seatbelts are a good thing. I know the stats and I've heard the bogus arguments against them. I wear 'em all the time. Everybody should. It's just that story with the trooper saying he never unbuckled a dead person seems too cleverly phrased, like it was cooked up by an ad man somewhere.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Right. One would hope that's the case.

Weeeeelllllll, how do I put this. I've been called off from responding to more than a few crashes because there are "no injuries", only to be re-paged later for non-trivial problems. Not precisely on this exact topic, but they're not trained in patient assessment any more than I'm trained in chasing down a speeder.

Well, as an EMT, I can make that statement myself. Maybe if they re-made the ad today, they'd use someone other than a cop. It's still the "appeal to the feelings" crowd that they're trying to reach with those, rather than the "explain the facts" type people.

well if you put anything under a big enough microscope it falls apart. the one that always bothered me is the 'you are (pick a number between 2 and 10) times as likely to get in an accident within (choose a small number) miles of home. what they fail to mention is that you spend 100 times as much time driving in that area so on a per mile basis , you are actually less likely to get in an accident when driving close to home.
which still doesnt mean you shouldnt wear your seat belt.

the simple fact is that seat belts save lives. any numerical analisys shows this to be true. but that doesnt seem to matter. what i really dont understand is that most of the people i know (and i actually know quite a few here in montana) that refuse to wear seat belts, all pretty much agree. they know the numbers are against them. but they dont seem to care and feel the numbers dont apply to them.
in some people, there seems to be an underlying fear of being trapped in the car and they would rather just die in the wreck.
randy

That's another of those things I just don't get. If they just rattled around the car until they wedged somewhere, it's unpredictable what will be holding them - maybe the pedals wrapped around their feet, maybe the windshield's remains around their neck, maybe them in the back seat, who knows. If they're in the driver's seat, they know exactly where the button is to get out. I guess that's what "irrational fear" means, though.
Tue, Apr 20, 2004, 2:28pm (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@spammyspam.com (xrongor) says: <snip> which still doesnt mean you shouldnt wear your seat belt. <snip> I believe, and always wear one. But, sometimes my kids don't (but they damn sure do when I'm in the vehicle with them, or them with me, because I keep at them until they do. Hehehehe). So, I appeal to something they can relate to. If they don't wear it, it'll cost them $25 every time they're caught not wearing it. Took the older one about $75 before he got the idea. Hard to fight it tho, when one of their buddies tells them it's safer not to wear one.
JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy. - Unknown
JOAT writes:

Hard to believe that some people still go with that idea, but my cousin's husband believes the same thing. And he's about your age, JOAT. Younger than me, but not by enough to count.
I drove a wrecker for a short period back when I was a kid, pre-seatbelt days (I even recall Ford trying to sell seatbelts as optional extras, starting, IIRC, in '56 or '57: bombed badly). Anyone who has ever seen the results of a single high speed wreck without seatbelts will believe in their effectiveness, after they're done puking.
Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 06:38:08 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I became a believer in high school when a dog ran out in front of me in my 1971 Ford LTD with bench seats. I found myself going down the road sideways, trying to steer and brake from the passenger seat.
Two lessons learned that night:
1. A seat belt keeps you closer to the steering wheel, making it easier to maintain control of the car.
2. A stray dog isn't worth dying for. Hit it. You can wince, yell, feel bad afterwards, call a vet, whatever, but -don't- yank the steering wheel around.
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Mike Patterson writes:

Stray or no stray, if it's him or me (or you) it should always be the dog, but most of us are conditioned otherwise. I don't like to think of all the time I've spent sliding sideways because of one animal or another.
Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:17:56 -0400, Mike Patterson

Watching films of pre-seatbelt auto racing made a believer of me.
Seeing the pack run over another driver is pretty memorable. 8^(
Barry
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 06:38:08 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:
-snip-

You've noticed that too, huh. I swear that if I were the world's foremost authority on a subject and some skid row bum told my wife or kids something that disagreed with what I said, they are right and I am wrong. Oh well, an expert is anyone that is more than 50 miles from home..
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA