Semi OT?? TurboCAD v10 installation error message

Folks -

I know we've got some techies out here and I am HOPING for some help....

I just purchased and installed TurboCAD Deluxe v10 (As recommended by American Woodworker, current issue) and upon trying to start the program for the first time I get the following message "Error while unpacking program, code E. Please report to author" Of course, there's nothing about error messages or known issues in the help file, so... and I get this message using either the shortcut on the desktop or through Start>programs. I have installed and uninstalled the v10 itself, the suite of programs, rebooted, tried installing from Start>run> to no avail. I am running win 98se with plenty of ram and disc space.

After failing at this installation, I tried to install it on my wifes Win XP laptop - no trouble at all. It did as for the product activation code, which DIDN'T happen on the WIN 98se computer. What gives...This is SERIOUSLY frustrating... Well, you know the drill.... when you DON'T have time for COMPUTER trouble, there it is. HELP!

John

Reply to
John Moorhead

It looks like the software is trying to unpack itself before running and can't find enough disk space OR can't unpack itself properly. Make sure you have enough free disk space and run a disk checker (scandisk.exe).

Hope it helps.

diy_man ============== Posted through

- free access to DIY newsgroups.

Reply to
diy_man

How about contacting the software company. IMSI offers free installation support at 1-877-827-8776

TinWoodsmn

Reply to
TinWoodsmn

Sounds like you're running 'Doze - if this is XP, are you installing as administrator? Sounds like maybe you don't have permission to write to where you're trying to install the program.

Ah, that doesn't _have_ an administrator account, (or technically, they all are admin in win98) does it. Well, either way see where it's trying to install & see if you can manually make files & folders there.

Call the vendor, I'm sure they have a support desk for this sort of thing.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

John, have you fixed that problem yet? ============== Posted through

- free access to DIY newsgroups.

Reply to
diy_man

DIY -

Nope! I finally got through to tech support and they had NO idea what the message meant. I went through several interations of the install/uninstall/reboot gymnastics over the phone - spending almost a full day over the last 3 working on it.

I am sending it back and have ordered DesignCAD as it got a favorable review in the new FWW.

I *DO* have an older machine, and tho' it easily met all of the performance benchmarks for the software, it *may* have been the problem. I was able to install it on my wife's laptop (running WIN XP) without trouble - but she's not going to let me have much (read: any) face time on her laptop and so off it came...

More to come....

John

Reply to
John Moorhead

It sounds like a good excu... er, reason to get a new computer.

Reply to
Nova

You posted this question on the Turbocad forum. Did you try Gurne's suggestion? Never had a problem with it myself so never paid to much attention but the problem is not unknown (to the forum. IMSI tech support is generally clueless). Seems to me that what he suggested has worked in the past. If you tried and it didn't work, get back on the forum and say so. They are a very knowledgeable and responsive bunch.

Reply to
CW