(semi-OT) SawStop : Hard Information

Does that have anything to do with how fast one moves ones hands over the blade when it is running? What makes you think the only time tablesaw accidents happen is while one is feeding a board through?

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Do you feed your wood throught the saw at one foot per second? I think not.

Reply to
ted harris

If your hand slips? Which, of course, is an incident where you really need the protection.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Ask Lance, et al.

Custom-built alloy frames are a good start...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

(Seriously) How do you spend $8k on a bicycle? I recall saving to buy a $36 "Sting Ray" knock-off in about 1968, and spending about $300 for a Liberia

10-speed in 1977. $8k is much more than just adjusting for inflation... ;-)

-- Mark, who has a $4k laptop and $3.5k desktop because of the features required by a software developer

Reply to
Mark Jerde

IIRC there is a spinning blade sensor, a Hall effect thing. This is discussed in some of the reports in the CPSC filings.

One of the reservations expressed by several of the testers was the design and programming of the system. Apparently it's not up to the standards expected of safety equipment.

(I was wrong, btw, to say that SawStop hadn't been tested. It was tested by two engineering companies whose reports were attached to the petition by SawStop, by the CPSC staff and by the manufacturers.)

What all the groups that tested SawStop agreed on -- with varying degrees of vehemence -- is that it is a long way from being a deployable product. The general consensus was that in its present state it can't even be completely tested because so many of the details haven't been reduced to production status.

After reading the descriptions I'd say what we've got here is closer to a late-stage proof-of-principle device than a fully developed prototype. I suspect this is the reason the manufacturers are so unenthusasistic about putting it on table saws, although the very high royalty doesn't help.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

Reply to
rcook5

There's a lot more detail in the CPSC filings, if you're willing to wade through thoses.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

Reply to
rcook5

Why do you say that? Having read through all the CPSC information, I'd say it's painfully obvious this isn't a fully developed product. Read the information, especially the engineering reports and you'll see what I mean.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

Reply to
rcook5

Well, let's see. How about four-wheel brakes? More crash-resistant body designs of welded steel? How about 12 Volt electricial systems with concomittant brighter headlights?

Or, closer to home, how about guards on table saws?

I could go on at some length.

In fact American automobile manufacturers had been making progressively safer cars for decades before the government even got involved in safety regulations. As shown by the declining death rates in auto accidents. And also by declining death rates in industrial accidents.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

Reply to
rcook5

Well, a stock Trek Madone has a suggested retail price of about $7600. Custom can get expensive.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I think that our road infrastructure had a lot to do with this. And until spurred by competition from overseas. US manufacturers did precious little other than to change body design

Reply to
GregP

Barry ...

I know one is Coastal. Who is the other?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

GregP responds:

Simply not true.

The list of improvements start with body changes and design, and, unfortunately, the annual model change, which we all have now come to expect.

But among non-mandated changes, U.S. manufacturers made intensive improvements in straight line performance year-after-year. As a kid, I saw Chevy finally introduce a V8, the small block 265, that is still, nearly 50 years later, one helluva popular engine. Engine technology didn't pace the Europeans, but neither did gasoline prices, so getting sufficient power out of small engines was left for the motorcycle manufacturers, none of which by the '60s and '70s, was based in the U.S. (I know, I know, Hardly-Ableson, but that's currently a government construct that keeps overall motorcycle prices up, and it is working primarily on '30s engine technology).

But auto development has been spotty, in response to demand too often, with U.S. manufacturers not taking the lead, though they did on occasion do so, so stating that body changes were the only things going on is wrong.

Charlie Self "Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power." Eric Hoffer

Reply to
Charlie Self

A $3-4000 titanium or carbon fiber frame, $2000 on the tippie toppie drivetrain, $1800 for carbon or titanium wheels, and maybe another $500-750 on sundries like computer, pedals, saddle, handlebar, tires, etc... A heart rate monitoring system and or power tap, sometimes with altitude data, can run $200-900. Some of these bikes are so light (sub 14 pounds), they're under the limit for races like the Tour de France.

The Seven Cycles bike that John Kerry was often photographed riding was probably $5500-6000 new, possibly more, as every Seven is custom fit and built for the individual rider. The off the rack carbon Trek Fuel 100 mountain bike that Bush crashed was probably $4500.

Personally, I ride a Trek carbon bike, with wheels I built myself, that lists for about $3500. I can't tell the difference between my bike and the 2x priced bike when riding. I _can_ tell the difference between a $2000 and $3500 bike.

FWIW, Calfee Designs now makes a carbon fiber tandem, with custom geometry to the riders, that lists for almost 20k. High end bicycles can get as crazy as Harley's, only the owners often are in better shape.

Baryy

Reply to
Ba r r y

The owner of the shop I work at would dance a jig if we could sell an out of the box Madone SSL for that. Once we hit the $7000 line, most customers seem to want a Calfee or Seven with custom geometry, or a Colnago, Look, etc... This means a whole lot more work for us, laying out the entire build.

We typically sell a Dura Ace equipped Madone SL for ~$5300, it seems that not a lot of people want a $7600 Trek.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Improved road design definitely contributed to the decreasing death rate as well.

Well, no. Overseas competition didn't begin to be noticed until the

1960s. The safety improvements I cited pre-dated that.

It seems to me that as a general rule safety does sell -- as long as the safety advantages are obvious or, if unobvious, can be effectively and dramatically explained.

And for most of the history of the automobile you're incorrect that manufacturers did little except change body design. The change-the-body-annually school of design was a phenomenon that began in the early-to-mid 50s.

It followed a huge surge in improvements to car design that started when passenger car production resumed after World War II. Cars had been improved steadly since their introduction, but after 1946 there was a backlog of technical innovation that was either ready for market or almost ready for market. The manufacturers went to a schedule of yearly models as a compromise between manufacturing economics and getting these new innovations to customers who were clamoring for them.

Which was fine until, say, 1954, at which time the innovation curve leveled off and the auto makers were hooked on the big sales that came with new models every year.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

Reply to
rcook5

Actually I'd say that's incorrect. Where the Americans excelled was at producing engines which were not only more powerful, but much more reliable than the European engines. The Europeans not only had an incentive to produce high-output and low gasoline consumption out of small displacement, but they didn't have anything like our incentive to produce extremely reliable engines that could sustain very high speeds day after day.

A number of sports car designers realized this early on and the result was the marriage of American engines with European chassis in vehicles like the Cad-Allard, the Sunbeam Tiger and, most famously, the Ford-AC Cobra.

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

Reply to
rcook5

American engines got their power from large displacement, which let them run in an incredibly mild state of tune, leading to the remarkably dependability they exhibit. Take that same 427 that's in grandma's station wagon and tune it to the same level as a Ferrari and watch out because it's going to be putting out 600+ reliable horsepower. As Enzo found to his dismay after he made the mistake of ticking off some yahoo named Henry Ford II. But that's just the beginning. There's another thousand or two in there if you look hard enough for it.

The potential of those old 50's vintage American engine designs even today is quite remarkable. The fastest gasoline powered wheel-driven car in the world, at well over 400 MPH, is powered by one GM 454, basically a bored and stroked version of the Chevy 427 that was competing against Ford in Nascar in the early '60s. There's a street-legal TransAm tooling around southern California that was clocked at 268 mph for the two-way average and

277 through the traps at Bonneville (and, no-Eurofans, that is _not_ kilometers). The same guy who built that one used to carry parts around in a 6-cylinder S-15 pickup truck that had been clocked at 210, and lately he's been driving a diesel pickup that also has been proven to be able to exceed 200.
Reply to
J. Clarke

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 03:04:20 GMT, "Mark Jerde" calmly ranted:

Q: How do you spend double on an item via Ebay? Q: How do you spend $10,000,000 on a small jet and another $8,000,000 to outfit it?

A1: You don't shop around to determine value first. A2: You get the newest, fanciest alloys/gearing/cabling/seats/ suspension/tires/electronics/veneers, etc. which are always

4x-400x the price of the normal goodies.

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Sin-free Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You get a good discount ?