semi-OT - Reflection / Cogitation / Age / Adventure / Woodworking

It has already passed.

Reply to
Michael Gresham

One of my all-time favorite short stories was by Stephen King, and it was about that very thing. It was called "My Pretty Pony." If you ever get the chance to look it up, it puts some perspective on it.

Reply to
mark

We also steadily lose the people we knew about. Looking at it from an egoentric point of view,we lose a big part of the context of our lives and much of what we shared with and bound us to others.

Reply to
GregP

Made me shiver!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

(1) SWMBO once told her Grandfather, who at 80 was getting pretty frail, what a marvelous thing it was to live to such an age. His response was that "No, it isn't. All my friends are gone."

(2) Did anyone happen to catch the JAG show a couple years back when Ernest Borgnine and a couple other guys played old retired SEAL's making war on a drug dealer who had gotten his grandson hooked & then died from OD? At the end of the show he told Rabb "Up here in your head, you're still 20, it's just that some things move a little slower"(or similar).

I think that can be said of many of us.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m10.aol.com:

I'm losing friends and family at a seemingly faster rate than ever before, that's a fact. However, for a wide range of reasons, I seem to have more, and better friends than was ever the case in past years. The kids are growing to be adults. Their friends are adults, too. The conversations are more meaningful, their worries and joys seem less frivolous, their successes and challenges more important.

If, or when, we are forced into seclusion, or lonliness, then those are the dark days...

Ecclesiastes was right.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Man, this thread sure moved away from the child like enjoyment of woodworking, regardless of chronological age.

Of the woodworkers who died this year, Tage Frid seemed to be the one with a twinkle in his eye and that child like joy in woodworking.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b