Semi-OT: Cool shop and very cool project

15 year project; very cool.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Mark & Juanita

Astonishing. But ... if you're gonna put all that work into something, why not build one 1:1 so you can drive it yourself?

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Maybe he thought the 1:1 version would take too long and be too expensive?

Mark & Juanita

Good point. Triple the cost I guess. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Well, despite his comments about not being able to afford a real one, this is really about a hobby, enjoying the process. If he had spent the same amount of time flipping burgers and investing his earnings with a modest rate of return, he could easily buy a real one.

But that's not the point. How many of us hobbyist woodworkers could afford what we build if we included any reasonable cost for our time?!

Reply to
alexy

Maybe flipping burgers at the Ritz - bidding for a 312 pb made it to $1,600,000 a couple of years go

KERRY MONTGOMERY

Assuming Ferarri owns the intellectual property rights to their cars they might have legal objections to a knock-off, even a one-off homebuilt.

Reply to
fredfighter

That was my first thought also - he might get by with a 1:3 but no way would they allow their name on a 1:1.

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

Well, maybe VERY good investments? Guess my ignorance of Ferrari markets is showing--I was thinking of a "garden-variety" Ferrari!

Reply to
alexy

Personally, I think Ferrari should *hire* this guy in some capacity...

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Indeed, if I were "Mr Ferrari" at the the very least I'd be happy to license his copy for the PR benefit. But I wouldn't be able to do that for the patents on the various component parts not made by Ferrari.

Reply to
fredfighter

Though my connections in the bicycle industry, I get to travel to Interbike, the big industry-wide celebration, err... convention, in 'Vegas almost every year.

I've been to seminars, and had an occasional private moment (glass of wine) with some of the Milan-based Italian cycling leaders, like Colnago, Marzocchi, and Campagnolo. I've personally met Ernesto Colnago, and heard him personally explain how Ferrarri suspension engineers explained to him how his carbon fiber fork technology was all wrong. Colnago and Campagnolo have both had connections with Ferrari over the years.

The Italians may place a total different view on this than a typical American, Japanese, or non-Italian western European person might...

Colango and Campagnolo offer factory tours, Colnago has been known to serve a hot lunch and wine to visitors. Shimano says there are "too many secrets on the floor" to allow visitors. These Italians are extremely proud of what they do, and might very well see a positive reflection on their work as on honor, not a theft of "intellectual property". A genuine relative of Mr. Ferrari might proudly pose for pictures in front of that work!

I'm with Tim...

Reply to
B A R R Y