Semi OT Battery Technology

DeWalt has a new cordless saw, the Model DC300K, that seems to promise a major break through in battery life. The battery, apparently a next generation lithium ion battery uses partials that are 100 times smaller than the typical lithium ion battery. The M1 Nanophosphate battery has a recharge time of a few minutes and is suppose to last 10 years. Apparently this battery is being looked at to also power an automobile. The recharge time to 80% capacity on an automobile is said to be about 15 minutes.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" tells us about

I just can't help myself.

Charges in a few minutes and lasts ten years??

I guess you wouldn't need a charger for this, would you?

I know, I will keep my day job.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Here is what is posted on there website

First the charger: Features: 1 hour charging provides fast charging for minimum downtime Battery fuel gauge indicates how much charge is in the battery DEWALT® 3-stage charging system provides maximum run-time and extends overall life of the battery Cord wrap provides improved cord storage

Then the battery Features: DEWALT® exclusive nano-phosphate lithium ion cells provide high power for corded performance; deliver 2-3x more run-time vs. 18V; offer long battery life & durability: 2,000 recharges Lightweight design- 2.4 lbs; same weight as an 18V battery No memory & virtually no self-discharge for maximum productivity & less downtime

The recharge time is the same as everyone elses. However the charges over the life of the battery seems low. Milwaukee is warranting their 28V and 18V LiON batteries for 5years/5,000 charges.

Allen

begin 666 icons_bullet.gif M1TE&.#EA"@`*`( ``/___P```"'Y! ``````+ `````*``H```(-A(^IR^T< )8E!RIDKE*0`[ ` end

Reply to
Allen Roy

I guess if I was very clever, I would just rebuild my older cordless drill batteries. The newer drills do not seem to have the durability of the older PC units. I have a Panasonic unit. I bet my PC when new could have beaten the pants of what is out there new. A set of new batteries for my old PC was MORE than the new Panasonic with batteries. Oh well.

Reply to
goaway

My first Panasonic, a 9.6 with Nicad didn't last long, the battery that is. Couple of years maybe. At that point I bought my second one, a 12V with 2x3 Ah NiMH and had the 9.6 repacked with NiMH also. That trio has lasted me somewhere around the 6-7 years mark, but over the last few months they have faded badly. So now I am getting the two 12V ones repacked, and I've replaced the 9.6 (sweet machine as it is) with a 10.6 V Bosh driver, that comes with a couple of Li-Ion accus. As yet no idea how that will hold up; obviously - I haven't even used it in a work situation yet.

I think NiCad is ok in a high usage area but if you intermittently don't use the appliance for weeks or even months they seem to die fast. NiMH don't do that, but they lose their charge fairly steadily; initially over 3-4 months, right now over about 1 week. Looking forward to finding out how the LiION will hold up by comparison. A 2000 recharge lifecycle (as quoted by someone else on the thread) would be just fine by me, cause it would translate into a 20+ year lifespan :-)

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner