Semi OT-B&D profits way up

I guess that since Black and Decker reported profits have almost doubled, there isn't much of a chance for them to bring any of their business back to the States. During the Chicago WWing show, I walked around the floor and looked at a lot of the boxes to see countries of origin. More than ever 'Made in China' is sweeping the industry. Damn shame. Mark

Reply to
Mark

It is when other countries outsource jobs to us. The latest numbers show we insource about 6.5 million jobs from other countries - that is foreign companies hire 6.5 million American workers in the US, and the trend is insourcing gaining on outsourcing.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

shame.

Mark,

Haven't you heard out sourcing is good for the country????

Reply to
Rumpty

Reply to
Mark
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

For China maybe!

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Rumpty wrote: :> More than ever 'Made in China' is sweeping the industry. Damn : shame.

: Mark,

: Haven't you heard out sourcing is good for the country????

Look no further than the Bush administration! They endorse it highly.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:45:29 -0500, Mark wrote (in message ):

This is why I keep looking at where stuff is made. As I replace more of my tools, I find them going from various colors to red as Milwaukee tools replace my others. While they don't make everything in the states, most everything seems to be made either in Germany or the US. There are some exceptions, but I'm willing to spend the extra $$ for quality tools I'm going to have to replace again for a long time and help out somebody other than China. I don't think we would be so harsh on Cuba if they had cheap labor and/or cheap goods to sell us.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Brissette

sure. when the american dollar loses value in the world economy, insourcing gains on outsourcing.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

There is just no such thing as good news with you, is there?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Whenever I read that statistic, the accompanying evidence cites companies like Toyota and BMW that manufacture cars in the US for North America. But this isn't really outsourcing by those companies. It's just moving the manufacturing to the customers' country. Now if Toyota exported cars made in the US back to Japan, *that* would be outsourcing akin to our situation. But I suspect they don't go that far.

Reply to
Guy

One would think that what is good for one would be good for all - and the reverse. I spoze we should ban outsourcing/insourcing and put job cops on the borders? I'm of the opinion that good job providers should be encouraged to provide jobs no matter where the goods they produce are consumed - but I'm also sure this doesn't make sense to those who have the "burger flipin jobs ain't woth it" agenda.

-Doug

-- "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Doug,

I can understand what you are saying but the fact of the matter is jobs in this country are being outsourced to other countries (like China) and the people who used to do those jobs here either cannot find work or are, in many cases, woefully underemployed.

There is nothing the matter with Delta making table saws in China by people living in China as long as the table saws they are producing in China are sold in China.

But I see a big problem when Delta starts making tables saws in China by people living in China and selling those table saws to people living in the US and the people who used to make the table saws cannot afford to purchase one because they are working flipping burgers at two McDonalds and a Burger King while trying to be a Wal-Mart greeter during the rest of their waking hours.

I see nothing the matter with flipping burgers and it is good experience for the average teen and young 20-something to get their feet wet in the working world. But when you are forced to do it after you get your engineering degree, and MBA, 20-odd years of work experience, and have a spouse, kids, and mortgage, I certainly DO see a problem with that.

Reply to
Ray Kinzler

Snip

So do I, seems someone with an engineering degree or a MBA should have learned more and or should be smart enough to find a job. As you point out, and thank goodness, a college education does not guarantee a form of "affirmative action" that guarantee's a job. It simply blows me away what some of the colleges are turning out. I cannot believe that many of these people have degrees at all. They have no common sense.

Reply to
Leon

Well - that's normal self-interest at work...

Consumers want the lowest price, stockholders want the highest returns...the company wants to survive.

Change the message that B&D gets - either from the consumer, or from the stockholders.

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

No. As always there are various pluses and minuses.

Eliminate subsidies for outsourcing. Let companies succeed or fail on their merits.

Reverse the trend toward cronyism and favoritism in trade.

Negotiate standards of regulation across borders.

Jobs is but one facet of the issue.

Which agenda is that?

"Tax breaks for corporations [and their investors] were a major part of the administration's 2002 and 2003 initiatives. If class warfare is being waged in America, my class is clearly winning."

Warren Buffett, the second wealthiest man in the world, recently noted Berkshire Hathaway paid $3.3bn in tax last year, amounting to

2.5% of the total income tax paid by all US corporations.
Reply to
p_j

Leon,

I think we are saying two different things but with the same result. I agree that there are a lot of people who come out of so-called educational institutions and don't know their hind-end from a hole in the wall, but that is something completely different than what I was trying to say.

For example where I work, the company outsourced about 35 programming jobs to an eastern country (well, east of the U.S.) and every single one of those people had at least a bachelor's degree and more than a few had at least part of a master's degree. These people had to train their replacements by obviously explaining the particular things they worked on. Talk about a demeaning thing to do! And, to top it off, these poor souls had to actually teach almost every single one of the 'programming experts' the outsourcing company sent over how to program but, what the heck? It is costing the company 40% less to have people pretending to be programmers.

Now all but two of the people have 'real' jobs over 11 months later--and those two people had to move to different states. One took a 25% pay-cut to program and the other took an almost 40% pay-cut to be an operator.

Several of the others have jobs like stocking shelves at a local Wal-mart or grocery store. A couple have found nothing and are doing nothing. Meanwhile, these latter ones are talking to the state unemployment office which has been outsourced to Mexico--now, explain that one! There are citizens in many states taht are unemployed but these states outsource their work to help people in their state get a job.

Every single one of these people are bright (believe it or not) but simply cannot find a job--even a horrible one. One of the reasons is because they are over-qualified and companies don't want to take a chance on them. Well, doh!

That is an example of what I was talking about where I don't think somebody who has paid their dues by getting an education, being gainfully employed for many years, and has given back to the country they are living in by buying houses, paying taxes, etc. should be forced to flip burgers just because it only costs a person living in China $4,000 US dollars a year to live like a king.

Reply to
Ray Kinzler

That's another reason I like to go to every WWing show I can. When I ask the sales reps questions, I do try to tactfully ask where the machine/widget is made. Somehow I try to relay the fact that I prefer North American made (can't leave out our friends to the north, eh Robin?) products over Chinwanese. I don't mean to slight anyone or any country at all, I just want to see people working again.

I agree with Rob>>

Reply to
Mark

Certainly not everyone, but the last time I was in WalMart here in P'burg, I counted 6 Cadillacs, 3 Mercedes and a Ferrari in just 3 parking lines.

Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

Reply to
Mark