Semi-OT: Air Conditioner Question

Page 4 of 4

Did you ever read up in any "trades" magazines as to why the refrigerants were mandated to be phased out for the so called "better version"? Talk about politics. When I was in the automotive business years ago our trades publication that we subscribed to spelled it all out. Apparently DuPont was about to have its Freon patent run out and would no longer have the market cornered, so to speak. So they came out with a replacement refrigerant that they would have the patent on again. They sold it to our government leaders as being better for the environment, the ozone layer. That as it may be, it is worse for human contact. If it was not going to be as harmful to the ozone layer why do they want it to all be recaptured when working on a system rather than let it go free as was done with R-12?
This was the precursor to the global warming fad and now the climate change fad.
wrote the following:

No, I was out of it by that time, though I knew it was all leftist bullshit and politics. Unilateral replacement of R-12 doesn't fix a problem they think we have.

Right, it was a part of the expanded eco-terrorism which has risen to accepted (by leftists) political form in the world today. Fukkemall.
-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard
Dear Leon:

Probably more "opinion" than "politics".

If you are interested in fact, the patent had expired 10 years before the consideration of the ban, and 20 years before its use was banned.

And its patent too had expired before the ban finally took effect. DuPont would have loved it if it had been otherwise. The replacements use more expensive fluorine in place of chlorine. Fluorine does not argue with oxygen / ozone over bonding rights, it wins, so it has no effect on ozone.

And this isn't true, as it turns out. Some of these replacements mess with the endocrine system of frogs, for example.

Since the ozone hole has finally started shrinking, they may have that part correct. Not really "politics" then is it?

These compounds are so stable that the only place they can be broken down, is in the energetic radiation that the ozone layer protects us from. That we cannot find how this will harm us now, does not mean there is no possible harm that increased concentrations cause (or lawyers can assing in court).
Better not to treat the atmosphere as a waste dump either. Cats can be trained not to foul their own nests, why can't we?

"fad" =/= loss of glaciers, increasing sea levels. Yes, there are a bunch of chicken littles running around like "this is news", and "we are all going to die". Things are changing, and whether or not we caused it, we need to roll with the changes. Assigning blame is a waste of effort.
If it cost money to make something, there should be money in recycling it.
If we are off topic...
David A. Smith

LOL !!!
New around here, are ya' ??
On 7/24/2010 4:16 PM, Leon wrote:

I forgot to mention that when I used Goodman, I spec'ed expansion valves instead of the flow rate tubes they come with, which may or may not be sized correctly by the installer for the particular install ... it makes a big difference in this humid climate to have a properly balanced refrigerant system.
Although I had to add an extra start capacitor on my Goodman units, it is also one of the reasons I can keep my AC at 80 and when you walk in from outside it feels much cooler than the actual temperature due to the lower humidity inside.
I'd bet that whoever installed your AC had enough snap to know the difference and/or knew how to balance the system with correctly sized flow rate tubes to get optimum evaporation in the condenser ...
Installation, installation, installation .... :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010