Semi-OT: Air Conditioner Question

Thanks, Lew!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"Lobby Dosser" wrote

Certainly worth a try, but keep an eye on it. Given the age of the system, it is common for failure of seals and other expensive repairs.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

  1. Wait until January.

I choose #4. well, at least mid-September (I'll have to get the AC in by January). I can work at 90-100F, but 120-140 isn't going to happen.

Reply to
krw

Probably more "opinion" than "politics".

If you are interested in fact, the patent had expired 10 years before the consideration of the ban, and 20 years before its use was banned.

And its patent too had expired before the ban finally took effect. DuPont would have loved it if it had been otherwise. The replacements use more expensive fluorine in place of chlorine. Fluorine does not argue with oxygen / ozone over bonding rights, it wins, so it has no effect on ozone.

And this isn't true, as it turns out. Some of these replacements mess with the endocrine system of frogs, for example.

Since the ozone hole has finally started shrinking, they may have that part correct. Not really "politics" then is it?

These compounds are so stable that the only place they can be broken down, is in the energetic radiation that the ozone layer protects us from. That we cannot find how this will harm us now, does not mean there is no possible harm that increased concentrations cause (or lawyers can assing in court).

Better not to treat the atmosphere as a waste dump either. Cats can be trained not to foul their own nests, why can't we?

"fad" =3D/=3D loss of glaciers, increasing sea levels. Yes, there are a bunch of chicken littles running around like "this is news", and "we are all going to die". Things are changing, and whether or not we caused it, we need to roll with the changes. Assigning blame is a waste of effort.

If it cost money to make something, there should be money in recycling it.

If we are off topic...

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc